discus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry, no discus.
Although i do have many different breeds of cichlids. 7 tanks worth to be exact. If you want to know what fish i have i can tell you but i have to remember all of them.

Discu must have clean water, slightly acid. They are nervy so require cover and/or dither fish like tetras. Best get 6 to 12 youngsters and grow them. Healthy adult pairs will spawn every couple or weeks. Often don't make good parents and eat the young

They are absolutly gorgeous fish those, seen them with electric blue/aqua and orange bars.
brilliant color for freshwater fish. I keep some fish, have considered them. :)

Not easy to breed. but once you get good pair not eating fry. You are in business.

Sorry Fuscy you are a bit off the mark ol' matey. Discuc like brakish water, heavily planted with reeds and broad leaf plants, you need a lot of driftwood (redwood) to give the water a very brown tinge.They are hard to breed and are good parents once they mate,but it is best to get colony of 6 or 8 young ones and let them pair themselves up. Once you have a pair they need a 6 foot tank to breed in and they take good care of thier young as they grow a slime on the side of thier bodies which the young feed off, it is quite awesome actually, it looks like they have a fungus problem just as the young hatch, but it is indeed the food for the young.Good luck and I think they are the prettiest fish in the fish world followed closely by Siamese fighters, but I used to breed these too, so I am biased.P.S This is Adam.

sweet!

i used to keep trops, but now the only ones id consider are discus. if anyone in sydney knows some decent breeders/shops nearby pm me ;)

No probs. St. George aquariums on Princes Hwy. is WELL worth the trip. They have a lot of most plants I have ever seen for aquariums. Sheryl is the name of the owner, or used to be, ask for her and she will help you with whatever questions you might have. I used to breed all sorts of tropical and kept marine as well, now my tanks are for snakes and mice and rats!!!!lol

F.S breeding pair of Bristle nose about 7-9cm. dunno actually. havn't measured. live in Brisbane, about half way to ipswich. $25. pick up only, i have another male. bout 6.5 cm for $5. ( i sold about 50 bristles to the pet shop but he hid in a rock so i couldn't get him.

IR,
I used to keep Discus years ago and kept them in a low ph based water tank, softened with a peat mix filter at one end-No Salt added at all, I never got them breeding, but only because I changed the tank over to Piranha(and sold the Discus, before anyone says anything, lol!), but they all done very well.
Is this a new idea in the Aquatic world, or are you thinking of Archer fish or something like that?
Interested to know more.

Neil

Try the Discus Assoxiation in Sydney. I cant remeber ther actual name but they have regular shows and comps.
Peter

Magpie, YES I am fairly sure of this cause this is what my discus used to breed in.I could be wrong.

NO the brakish is sooooo slight it's not funny. It may have been because I was in Tamworth and the water there is VERY harsh and hard to get right for the fish, but what I used to have to do was add about 2 to 3 tablespoons of table salt, yes that's right table salt once every 2 weeks, also I found that having a lot of redwood in the tank and allowing the water to go very brown before changing it. I had a power filter that changed the water only 4 times every hour, and yes of course the peat moss is soooo invaluable, I actually used to plant some of the reeds in the peat moss at the bottom of the tank.

These fish naturally occur in the Amazon & its tributaries with a pH of 4.0 to 5.0 and also in the Rio Madeira with a ph of 6.5 to 7.0 and slightly higher mineral content than the Amazon which has next to no minerals disolved in it. The rio madeira is where the "Black Water" saying comes from. A lot of serious discus breeders use reverse osmosis filtration for optimum water conditions.

But you could always get a REAL fish and keep Tropheus :)

I had a frisbee once, but it wouldnt breed, no matter what. come to think of it, it didnt eat much either, just floated around.
so_there.thumb.gif

ROFL.thumb.gif

Should get a 10 on the "corny-o-meter!!! on another note, thanks Phil, i wondered where they were native to. shame we havent got such nice natives here.

We do have some very beautiful natives here Inny, some of the rainbows are just magnificent and there was this native I went out with a few years ago that, oh well, that's another story :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back