Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I researched for about a year and a half I understand most stuff it wasn't an impulse buy to impress friends I love snakes I just want the best for him and don't want to get him sick or anything that's why I'm asking questions.. I knew all that but thanks for the input also look at his click clack his going to be in that for a while at least till his a yearling! So hes never in the actual enclosure :)

Where did you research for a year ? The most basic of requirements for a snake is heating , surely you would have read it some where in that year ...

It's funny most pet shops tend to sell you extra stuff you really don't need just to sell stuff , this one has gone the other way hehehe

As others have said , you will need to provide heat 24/7 especially for a hatchling , 31-33 degree hot spot , the rest of the tub room temps.

For my Stimson's Python enclosure, I have:

Power Outlet -> Thermostat -> Dimmer -> Heat Mat.

This way, if the thermostat dies, it *should* only reach the power set on the dimmer. If the dimmer fails, it *should* stay at 32 degrees.
If both the thermostat and dimmer fail, or the heat mat fails, I guess I'd still be screwed.

Either way, this helps to lower the risk a little bit, at least. Having said that, given my Stimson is over 12 months old, I should probably go for a proper heat emitter
of some sort instead of just a heat mat, especially with the recent drop in temperature due to weather.

I got all my gear from a petshop, and some guy working there was trying to sell my a MASSIVE enclosure and all this other junk; when all I wanted was a small 'tub' (if only I knew about click-clacks before hand) and the heat mat.

I have come to the conclusion that I am hopeless at quoting...

Got my thermo and heater very expensive but worth it already looks happier I'm a bit worried though went back to the same pet shop tonight and they had very similar looking ones to mine but reckon there spotted I'm not sure if this ones a stimmie now??? Can someone help identify please [/I][/U]

Yeah, it's a stimmie mate. It looks similar to mine, but slightly darker.
IMG_0625.jpg

Using thermostats and heat mats etc is a fairly new thing with reptiles
For years all the older breeders simply tried out different wattage ordinary light bulbs until they found one that provided enough heat
Very interesting to see on that care sheet that stimmies need 31c all the time???
Do you think they could possibly get that in the wild??

Care for your snake and do the best you can for it
But dont get too caught up in all the technical stuff that gets quoted by so called eggspurts trying to sell things

longqi, i have often wondered that since getting my tank and reptile license, yet to get the little fellas
(turtles and dragons) but i had thought why do you NEED to keep the water and air temps at exactly X amount when clearly it isnt like that out there where they would naturally live... ah well i still bought the heat lamp and heated rock as well of course as a heater for the tank but still have thought why when... as said at the start of my post. ah well

Some pet shops shouldn't sell snakes...
Wait. Let me rephrase that. All pet shops shouldn't sell snakes.
Half the people giving the advice to these new snake owners sound like they don't know a damn thing about snakes.

Antho, it's good that you're on here seeking extra advice. You should look up a care sheet for hatchling stimsons on google.
All hatchlings need heating 24/7, I don't know what the hell the people at the pet shop were thinking when they told you they only need a bit of light every day.

ill 2nd that for sure mate wen i was new to this whole reptile keeping thing early last yr i bought a spotted from a petshop they gave me bullshit info i got alot of my info from breeders i met on websites etc for e.g APS, i would never buy another reptile from a petshop again just on the fact there way over priced, for eg they sell blonde spotted pythons fro like 300bucks when u can buy them in the for sale section on here for like 150bucks and from breeders at that who know what there actually talking about

hey guys another question which i cannot find any answers for what should i be doing as in heat wise for my stimmie the ppl at the pet store reckon i dont need heat mat or anything the light will do the work as long as i put in on for a bit everyday is this correct here are some pics!
thanks guys i just need info i want my snake to be a very happy one!!View attachment 195274View attachment 195275

This is exactly why I will never understand why petshops are allowed to sell reptiles. What a load of garbage. The authorities that have allowed them to do this need a long, hard look at themselves!

ill 2nd that for sure mate wen i was new to this whole reptile keeping thing early last yr i bought a spotted from a petshop they gave me bullshit info i got alot of my info from breeders i met on websites etc for e.g APS, i would never buy another reptile from a petshop again just on the fact there way over priced, for eg they sell blonde spotted pythons fro like 300bucks when u can buy them in the for sale section on here for like 150bucks and from breeders at that who know what there actually talking about
man i seen beardies yesterday for like 250 yearlings i just picked up male yearling for 50 off here stupid pet store and to think that people buy them is even worst

man i seen beardies yesterday for like 250 yearlings i just picked up male yearling for 50 off here stupid pet store and to think that people buy them is even worst

lol yeh its a joke mate and the sad thing is soo many ppl do buy from petstores everyone should be educated on this

longqi, i have often wondered that since getting my tank and reptile license, yet to get the little fellas
(turtles and dragons) but i had thought why do you NEED to keep the water and air temps at exactly X amount when clearly it isnt like that out there where they would naturally live... ah well i still bought the heat lamp and heated rock as well of course as a heater for the tank but still have thought why when... as said at the start of my post. ah well

The temperatures etc written down are for optimum temperatures and do not follow any form what would happen in nature
They are good guidelines and are very useful for people new to reptiles

After a while you will let your animals tell you what they prefer
They do this by moving around into their preferred temperature part of the enclosure
After a feed they usually find a warm safe place
Other times they may lie in the cooler areas
Every single one is slightly different in likes and dislikes
So just adjust things to suit each one

As an example some snakes are out and moving around a lot of the time
Others stay in their hides and only come out for a feed
If you increase the temp by about 2C the one that always hides will often become more active

So read the books but dont be someone who says "The Book Must Be Right and I will Never Change Anything"
Let your animals tell you what is right for them

Using thermostats and heat mats etc is a fairly new thing with reptiles
For years all the older breeders simply tried out different wattage ordinary light bulbs until they found one that provided enough heat
Very interesting to see on that care sheet that stimmies need 31c all the time???
Do you think they could possibly get that in the wild??

Care for your snake and do the best you can for it
But dont get too caught up in all the technical stuff that gets quoted by so called eggspurts trying to sell things
finally somebody giving good, sound(and friendly!) advice instead of having a go at the poor guy!:)

Great to see someone actually nominating a site on the net, rather than just “do some research” or “check out the net for info” etc. There is a lot of good information out there but, sad to say, there also a lot of misinformation. If you are new to the hobby and therefore do not have the background, you don’t know what is good and what is absolute rubbish.

Good on you!

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back