Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

antho87

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys another question which i cannot find any answers for what should i be doing as in heat wise for my stimmie the ppl at the pet store reckon i dont need heat mat or anything the light will do the work as long as i put in on for a bit everyday is this correct here are some pics!
thanks guys i just need info i want my snake to be a very happy one!!IMG_0962.jpgIMG_0963.jpg

You will need top rovide 24 hour heat for a stimmie hatchie as without it it will stop eating.
ahaet mat under the back 1/3 of the tub providing you have it in at 32dg will do the job.

ok thanks so just get a heat mat?? he has a hide just cant see it in the pic!!!

why is he inside the enclosure in a click clack? he needs a hide and if you only have a normal light not a basking light you will need a small heat mat to help him keep warm during digestion and such. in summer not so much but in winter you will unless you plan to not feed it at all during the cooler months

so he doesnt escape hahahaha

You should also get a probe thermostat to control the heating so that you don't cook your baby. You can then move the thermostat to a larger enclosure whenthe baby gets larger.

You should also get a probe thermostat to control the heating so that you don't cook your baby. You can then move the thermostat to a larger enclosure whenthe baby gets larger.

sorry mate i dont understand the whole thermostat thing how does it work what do i have to get a thermostat and heat mat?
also cause i was a bit scared of picking him up at first i think he knows my smell and always looks like he wants to strike me when my missus is holding him??
thanks heaps guys keep the info coming in please its much appreicated!

There are a couple ways you can go for a heat mat:
1. You can get a stand alone heat mat and thermostat (which monitors the temp. and turns it off when it's at the set temp. or turns it on when it's too low). Probably a bit pricey, especially for good quality thermostats.
2. You can buy heat mats with the thermostat built in to it. ReptaPets Australia is one brand you can find in pet shops and there's also Pythons1
No matter which way you go; get a thermometer. Thermostats have a tendancy to fail at times

There are a couple ways you can go for a heat mat:
1. You can get a stand alone heat mat and thermostat (which monitors the temp. and turns it off when it's at the set temp. or turns it on when it's too low). Probably a bit pricey, especially for good quality thermostats.
2. You can buy heat mats with the thermostat built in to it. ReptaPets Australia is one brand you can find in pet shops and there's also Pythons1
No matter which way you go; get a thermometer. Thermostats have a tendancy to fail at times
Ok any good ones on eBay?? I got told off the lady at the pet store that another lady's house nearly burnt down due to one catching fire is this common

Lol was this a impulse buy to impress friends, seriously did u do any research?
For a hatchling stimi, keep it in a click clack with a heatmat under 1/3 of the click clack and u get a probe thermostat.
Plug it into the wall and plug the heatmat into the thermostat and place the sensor probe onto the floor of the hot end of the click clack.
A hatchling in a big enclosure can freak out and stop eating also without the right temps it will also stop eating.
Dont worry about it biting you its a hatchling and a stimi at that, you wont even feel it.
I had a 5 year old helping look after hatchling carpets and he was bitten all the time and didnt even blink an eye.
Do a bit of research on the proper care for the species your keeping and you wont have any issues you cant fix...
Herpshop has some good thermostats for beginners.

Thermostats are like anything electrical; there's a chance it could malefunction and catch fire. And generally the heatmat only overheats when the thermostat fails and doesn't shut it off, so it keeps heating up. So it's a good idea to have a thermometer so you can check it and get a proper reading. I'm not sure about buying them on ebay (mainly cause I haven't checked), but you may be able to find them in the For Sale Section of APS.

I researched for about a year and a half I understand most stuff it wasn't an impulse buy to impress friends I love snakes I just want the best for him and don't want to get him sick or anything that's why I'm asking questions.. I knew all that but thanks for the input also look at his click clack his going to be in that for a while at least till his a yearling! So hes never in the actual enclosure :)

Some pet shops shouldn't sell snakes...
Wait. Let me rephrase that. All pet shops shouldn't sell snakes.
Half the people giving the advice to these new snake owners sound like they don't know a damn thing about snakes.

Antho, it's good that you're on here seeking extra advice. You should look up a care sheet for hatchling stimsons on google.
All hatchlings need heating 24/7, I don't know what the hell the people at the pet shop were thinking when they told you they only need a bit of light every day.

Surely you would research this before you purchased it? If you didn't have this info and went strait off pet shop advise your hatchie would of suffered and you would be very upset :(

Also do a search for 'stimson python caresheet' in google. http://www.dolittlefarm.com.au/docs/stimsons.pdf is very useful and has some info exactly whats been posted for hatchies.

"Stimson’s Pythons will seek to keep
their bodies at 31ÂşC, and so will need temperatures around 34-35ÂşC at the warm
end and around 27-28ÂşC at the cool end of the cage. Setting your thermostat at
31ÂşC and locating your heat sources and thermostat probe as shown in Cage
diagrams 1 & 2 will help you achieve this." (refer to PDF posted)

Licensing in ACT won't even allow you to get a snake with out owning another 'easier' to handle reptile for 2 years sad face :(

A new baby stimmi, you must be proud :) Congrats!

But... and I honestly don't mean to be narky, but how could you research all this time and not know you need to heat a snake, or how to do it? I ask bc I'm new to snakes too, and it was a very prominent in all the info I came across.

Some pet shops shouldn't sell snakes...
Wait. Let me rephrase that. All pet shops shouldn't sell snakes.
Half the people giving the advice to these new snake owners sound like they don't know a damn thing about snakes.

Antho, it's good that you're on here seeking extra advice. You should look up a care sheet for hatchling stimsons on google.
All hatchlings need heating 24/7, I don't know what the hell the people at the pet shop were thinking when they told you they only need a bit of light every day.

Damn you beat me to it :(

But you beat me at least :)

Two years before you can own a snake in the ACT? Really? That cannot be true...

Territory and Municipal Services - Keeping Snakes
Keeping a Snake

The ACT Government has developed a 'Reptile Policy' against which applications for activities involving reptiles in the ACT are assessed.
This policy was produced in consultation with the ACT Herpetological Association, the Wildlife Research Unit of Environment and Recreation, ANPWS (now Environment Australia)and leading ACT and NSW herpetologists. The Policy has been endorsed by the Minister for Environment, Land and Planning.
Reptiles to be kept for hobby purposes have been categorised into three groups.
Category A

CATEGORY A refers to captive-bred reptiles that can be kept by individuals with no prior experience in keeping such animals. These include exempt species and species considered relatively easy to maintain, regularly bred in captivity and suited to the Canberra climate. Exempt species do not require a licence to keep under the Act and are identified below with the symbol (E).
LIST A
Chelidae Common Long-necked Turtle Chelodina longicollis (E) Scincidae
Eastern Blue-tounged Lizard Tiliqua scincoides (E)
Blotched Blue-toungedLizard Tiliqua scincoides (E)
Shingleback Lizard Trachydos aurusrugosus (E)
Eastern Bearded Dragon Pogona barbata (E)
Category B

CATEGORY B includes species of captive-bred reptiles which may be held for hobby purposes by experienced amateurs with at least two years experiences in keeping one or more species from a family in CATEGORY A. Generally applicants for species on this list must be 15 years of age or over.
LIST B
Cheliadae Murray Turtle Emydura macquarii
Agamidae Tree Dragon (Jacky Lizard) Amphibolurus muricatus
Mountain Dragon Amphibolurus diemensis
Gippsland Water Dragon Physignathus lesuerii howitti Scincidae
Common Grass Skink Lampropholis guichenoti
Delicate Skink Lampropholis delicata
Cunninghams's Skink Egernia cunninghami
Black Rock Skink Egernia saxatilis
White's Skink Egernia whitii
Southern Water Skink Sphenomorphus heatwolei
Mountain Water Skink Sphenomorphus tympanum
Boidae Children's Python Liasis childreni
Diamond Python Morelia spilota ssp spilota
Carpet Python Morelia spilota ssp variegata
Spotted Python Liasis maculosus
Stimson's Python Liasis stimsoni
Varanidae Ridge-tailed Monitor Varanus acanthurus
Black-headed Monitor Varanus tristis
Central Bearded Dragon Pogona vitticeps

You have to remember, it does get VERY cold in Canberra, so keeping not local Reptiles and not caring for them properly can easily kill them.

Ignore all the criticism people here give out. We are on the Gold Coast too, if you want any setup help or advice you are welcome to give me a buzz and pop round to get you sorted, Ben 0419732455

Replies to this thread have been extremely measured, and it seems like good advice given. Still, nothing like chatting to someone who knows what they are talking about face to face. Good on you Ben.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back