Do you need to be an electrician?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though it’s just unscrewing two screws, fitting it onto a bracket and screwing them back on with the wires enclosed?
If it catches fire you won’t be able to claim house insurance because you’re not a licensed electrician

Do you need to be an electrician to fit a es fitting onto a bracket?
The true answer to your question is no, you do not. I guarantee it is physically possible for a non electrician to perform this task.

If you mean to ask if it is possible to do it legally in Australia... different answer. Australia has become an hideous nanny state where any remaining freedom is an illusion and people have been trained to embrace that, willingly putting control of themselves in the hands of the state rather than their own.

Don't expect laws to make sense or be fair or reasonable. You will only disappoint yourself.

I'm a danish electrician and here🇩🇰you can do anything from the wall socket and out, meaning lights in a tank, plugs and so on

I looked this up for someone a couple of years ago. As far as I know the regs have not changed. Here is the link...
https://www.aussiepythons.com/threads/legal-question-on-wiring-enclosures.226408/post-2533190

If the circuit is rated at equal to or less than 50 V AC RMS or 120V ripple-free DC, then you can legally do it yourself. Therefore if you are dealing with a 240V AC electrical circuit, the answer is that legally it requires a licensed electrician.

While it seems a simple enough job one still needs to know what one is doing. The electrician needs to ensure that the contacts are substantial and held firmly in place, so that the bare wire ends cannot be pulled out and exposed outside the socket. He or she will also advice on the maximum safe voltage/heat-output of the globe to be used in the given situation and whether the socket needs to be ceramic rather than plastic.

it is recommended that a licensed electrician does all your electrical work
im building all my own enclosures and fitting my lights and heat sources. I'm going to ignore the fact I just read any of this post. omg wth you mean I can't legally do this. What has our country come to.

im building all my own enclosures and fitting my lights and heat sources. I'm going to ignore the fact I just read any of this post. omg wth you mean I can't legally do this. What has our country come to.
I also build my own enclosures , wiring included. I have been wiring light boxes,amps, speakers for over 40 years. But I am legally required to say "your wiring must be done by a licensed electrician" if you are capable to do it yourself then fine. But don't say I told you to. As for what our country has become, well that is answered easily. We used to be the clever country. Now we are the nanny state:)

To the point where it seems renters may not legally be permitted to change a light bulb in rental properties by Australian law. It's gotten to that now. It's no wonder that I see more and more every day mum & dad's now comfortable with choosing which laws they will obey and which ones they will ignore in Australia. Make numerous stupid laws and I guess it only starts to encourage reasonable people (not criminals) to start choosing which laws they will follow and ignore.

To the point where it seems renters may not legally be permitted to change a light bulb in rental properties by Australian law. It's gotten to that now. It's no wonder that I see more and more every day mum & dad's now comfortable with choosing which laws they will obey and which ones they will ignore in Australia. Make numerous stupid laws and I guess it only starts to encourage reasonable people (not criminals) to start choosing which laws they will follow and ignore.
I have a sign on my wall that says "when injustice becomes law, resistance is duty "

Latest posts

Back