Does anyone know of a (West) Aussie snake that might look something like this.....?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sash76

Reaction score
Hi All,

my Dad found a snake in his garden this arvo and we're not sure what it was. We live in WA and he lives close to a nature reserve/conservation area. The nearest pic we found was of an Indian snake a "Banded Krait". I'm assuming the snake must have slithered away again.

dads_snake.jpg

If you live around the Denham/Monkey Mia area it could quite possibly be a West Coast Banded Snake - Simoselaps littoralis.

looks like its some sort of bandy bandy snake the only ones ive seen are white with black bands probably wrong

we live 25 mins North of Perth itself and about 15mins away from the ocean.

I considered a Bandy Bandy because the look is right but this definitely had yellow bands and not white.

the West Coast Banded Snake is the closest looking possibility so far

Bandy Bandys aren't just found in QLD and NSW, there are different varients of the Vermicella family found across most of the top of the country including the Pilbara in WA.

Seems a bit far south for S. littoralis but I don't really know how far it's range extends.

You're quite right there Matt, although Bandy Bandy (V. annulata) are also found in Victoria.

I'm confident that it's not a Bandy Bandy, due to the yellow colouration and the location (which is well out of their ranges).

It's impossible to be certain without a photograph or the specimen on hand but due to the distinct colouration that you describe and the locality (thanks for providing that), it's most likely a Simoselaps sp.

My educated guess is that it's Simoselaps bertholdi. It's possible that it was Simoselaps littoralis (as there's an apparently isolated record of this species occuring just south of Perth) but S. bertholdi is the species that is much more likely to be found around Perth.

Last edited:
Is the snakes head missing? It's an interesting pic because S bertholdi and S littoralis are usually quite stout and tubular looking and their tails taper abruptly, there heads are quite distinct from their bodies also, having a lighter background and speckling.
DSC_0546.jpg

It would be S. bertholdi, very common around Perth especially in sandy soils/beach suburbs. Commonly referred to as a 'Bandy Bandy' in south west WA, but much smaller and banded in red/yellow & black.

A good reason for not using common names...

Last edited by a moderator:
In case you guys havnt realised, the pic is not of the actual snake. That is a pic of the Banded Krait.
My guess as to the identity of the snake in question would be a Tiger Snake.
Ads

In case you guys havnt realised, the pic is not of the actual snake. That is a pic of the Banded Krait.
My guess as to the identity of the snake in question would be a Tiger Snake.
Ads

LOL I was so 1 minded trying to Identify it, that it hadn't crossed my mind that he had posted the pic of the banded krait.
DSC02201.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think that its one of the Simoselaps. How big was it?

After reading steve1's post I agree. Probably just a Tiger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back