Does anyone know some paints that arent toxic to snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayrinarasauce

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hellooo!
I've recently made a hide for my yearling spotted, and it is made out of ai-dry clay. I am wondering, what are the processes of preparing it, painting it, then water-proofing it? I've heard that acrylic paint is good. Does it have to be water-based and non-toxic?
And do I need to add anything like acrylic primer or anything to first prep the clay for the paint?
And lastly for the waterproofing, I've heard crommelin ornamental sealer is a good, non-toxic option. does anyone know any more reptile-safe alternatives?
Im so sorry there are a lot of questions, I really dont want to expose my snake to toxic fumes D:

Any advice is much appreciated. cheers

For hides that I've made I used cheap non-toxic water based acrylics, the type you can buy in sets at kmart, office works, bunnings etc. Priming is optional, its more something that will effect the aesthetics of the hide rather than the safety - again if you want to prime I would just stick with non-toxic acrylics. Once you have a painted product that you like the look of, then you do the waterproofing. I've used aquarium grade pond sealants and been very happy with the results, they're safe for reptiles, hold up very well and come in a variety of colours if you want to skip the painting step or you can use a clear version to preserve whatever you've painted. I recommend the Crommelin pond sealer, you can pick it up at bunnings and just follow the instructions, super easy to use. Once I've done all my waterproofing coats I leave the hide outside for a week just to make sure its fully cured and not giving off anymore fumes, then I give it a clean and put it in the enclosure. If it were still giving off a noticeable smell, I'd just leave it out for a little longer until it goes away but generally a week is more than enough, most products provide curing guidelines that can help as well.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/crommelin-1l-clear-pond-sealer_p0960202

Latest posts

Back