Does the Wildlife Department EVER get back to you?????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerlily

Reaction score
I'm starting to get really frustrated with the Qld Wildlife Department and their lack of communication... how do they expect me to abide by all the strict rules and regulations if they:

a. NEVER have anyone who knows anything about ANYTHING answer their phone
b. Don't write back to emails..... and on the most recent occasion when they (hallelujah) did write back, assuring me someone would be in touch, I haven't heard from them since???

It really seems like there are all these laws in place to protect Australia's native fauna and prevent unnecessary animal cruelty, which I personally think is a FANTASTIC thing after living in a country where animal smuggling is rampant and the conditions of animals for sale in many big-name pet shops are just despicable..... so KUDOS Australia for protecting your animals, truly and sincerely. But with permits and licenses comes the inevitable hiccup here and there - questions I need answered - paperwork gone walkabout that I need to follow up on... and when there's ZERO followup to these things, really, it feels like they don't really care?????? I'm trying to do the right thing here but they are so blase that I wonder what the department is even there for - I'm starting to actually understand why so many people don't bother abiding by the law when it comes to keeping animals!

Why do they bother sending officers to animal expos and reinforcing their presence if they don't actually even DO anything to help you do the best for your pet??? I know I'm not a breeder and they've got bigger fish to fry; I'm just a regular person with a recreational permit and one little snake that I happen to love very much and want the best for. But I canNOT be the only person like this who needs answers..... do they treat ALL pet owners with questions this way? I am sooooooo frustrated right now at their lack of communication!!! (edit: Actually I feel it's more a matter of incompetence than just lack of communication... how come nobody can ever answer a single question I have? They're simple questions! How can these government employees have no knowledge of the very issues regarding the department they're working in??? Who is actually in charge of these things anyway??? I feel like I could do the job of the person answering the phone and that doesn't feel right AT ALL!!!)

I should probably post this in the vent thread but I would really like people to see this post, and get some feedback on whether this is something that's starting to change; how I can go about getting their attention, and most of all if you have any POSITIVE stories I'd like to hear them before I become seriously jaded.

Thank you...

Last edited:
I know ours takes quite awhile to respond(if they do at all).
it can be kind of annoying

i have always called the 1300 number and may have been lucky

what is it that you need to know?

our mob isn't any better,applied for license upgrade 6 weeks ago and was told it would take 3 .Have rung twice this week and left a message and "someone will get back to you" still haven't heard from them

[MENTION=41353]Wallo[/MENTION], were the people on the 1300 number able to assist you on the spot without telling you to email the palm address? Right now I'm just waiting on:

1. What to do as I can't find my record book/movement advice
2. What I need to do if I were to move to WA with my rough scaled python since they're Category 5 over there
3. What the laws are regarding humane culling of rodents i.e. whether freezing without gas is even legal.

- - - Updated - - -

Same [MENTION=21299]dragonlover1[/MENTION], always "someone will get back to you"...

Nsw environment & heritage are pathetic. Never sent out renewal notice, called 10 + times ova the week, sent a renewal via email, also requesting a please explain for not renewing earlier. Ahhh hello, paid for it 5 weeks ago & still no new licence or receipt issued. Pathetic service

[MENTION=41353]Wallo[/MENTION], were the people on the 1300 number able to assist you on the spot without telling you to email the palm address? Right now I'm just waiting on:

2. What I need to do if I were to move to WA with my rough scaled python since they're Category 5 over there
3. What the laws are regarding humane culling of rodents i.e. whether freezing without gas is even legal.

- - - Updated - - -

Same [MENTION=21299]dragonlover1[/MENTION], always "someone will get back to you"...
I can answer number 2 for you; you won't be able to bring/import any pythons into WA so you will either need to leave them behind or sell them. If you can prove previous experience with Cat 5 animals you should be able to get a license for them fairly quickly once you get here, however if your only experience is with pythons it may take a while [emoji30]

@Wallo, were the people on the 1300 number able to assist you on the spot without telling you to email the palm address? Right now I'm just waiting on:

- - - Updated - - -

Same @dragonlover1, always "someone will get back to you"...

With question 1 both record book and movement advice are in printable form on the 3rd page of the online licence application
you will have go through and fill in the answer as if you where applying again and on the 3rd page you will find the links for both books - then you can click in them and print

question 2 you will have to sell your snake and then apply in WA

question 3 not sure
and yes the people on 1300 264 625 was able to answer there and then

It sounds like each state has its issues with their local department with the public service bureaucracy, The times i have had to call they have been ok and email response is ok but not fast

@Wallo, were the people on the 1300 number able to assist you on the spot without telling you to email the palm address? Right now I'm just waiting on:

- - - Updated - - -

Same @dragonlover1, always "someone will get back to you"...

as for #3 I know some people hook up a chamber to a soda stream gas bottle,can't get more hygenic than that

Thanks [MENTION=11565]BrownHash[/MENTION]... Just getting over the shock at the fact I wouldn't be able to take my snake with me. That is... so sad...

Thanks [MENTION=41353]Wallo[/MENTION], I'm aware I can download another record sheet but the problem was that I don't have the original info with me. I thought if I called them they'd have it on their database or filing system or whatever, but apparently not... the girl had absolutely no clue what to do.

I'm just going to contact my breeder and hope he still has the details... I watched a few episodes of Parks and Recreation over the weekend and the similarities made me laugh; I guess I have a better feel of how the government works with these things everywhere and I'm not stressed out anymore. And moving to WA probably would have sucked anyway:lol: Thanks everyone for your input!

I can answer number 2 for you; you won't be able to bring/import any pythons into WA so you will either need to leave them behind or sell them. If you can prove previous experience with Cat 5 animals

Wow, that sucks.. Tigerlily, persist in calling WA authorities and push this.

I recently moved from NT, where children's pythons aren't licensed, to ACT, where they're a class B, and you have to own a class A for 2 years first. Licensing were extremely helpful, and understood that different states have different requirements, and happily gave me a class B to bring our "Snakey" down. Push for a similar result.

I've dealt with NT, ACT, VIC, SA (actually spoke with the granddaughter of Joe Bredl, after which the bredili is named) and NSW. The only one that seemed slack and needed chasing was NSW, the rest were awesome to deal with.

Wow, that sucks.. Tigerlily, persist in calling WA authorities and push this.

I recently moved from NT, where children's pythons aren't licensed, to ACT, where they're a class B, and you have to own a class A for 2 years first. Licensing were extremely helpful, and understood that different states have different requirements, and happily gave me a class B to bring our "Snakey" down. Push for a similar result.

I've dealt with NT, ACT, VIC, SA (actually spoke with the granddaughter of Joe Bredl, after which the bredili is named) and NSW. The only one that seemed slack and needed chasing was NSW, the rest were awesome to deal with.

They won't budge on this one from what I understand, WA have a pretty strict no in, no out policy when it comes to their wildlife. Also, they have a very limited list of species that can be held there, so there's a fair chance that even in the off that she would be allowed to import, she won't be legally allowed to hold it on license in the state anyway...

WA need to get with the times in many ways...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back