Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
My son and I saw this incredible monitor on our trip in November, 2006. It was the most brightly coloured monitor that I have ever encountered. I have trouble separating Yellow-spotted Monitors (Varanus panoptes) from Gould's Monitors (V. gouldi) but I assume that this lizard is a yellow-spotted due to its large size.
SandGoanna1.jpg

sandGoanna2.jpg

sandGoanna4.jpg

sandGoanna3.jpg

We found it in this habitat:
habitat20.jpg

[
habitat21.jpg

Central Netted Dragons (Ctenophorus nuchalis) were the most common lizard that we encountered during the day. These lizards behaved quite strangely. They were easy to approach on the road but extremely wary when standing on something natural such as a branch or termite mound. They were the most conspicuous late in the day when the temperatures had cooled a little.

Here are a couple of photos of the habitat where these dragons were numerous.
habitat19.jpg

habitat30.jpg

... the dragons
centralNetted8.jpg

CentralNetted6.jpg

CentralNetted1.jpg

CentralNetted4.jpg

centralNetted2.jpg

centralnetted3.jpg

We saw Central Bearded Dragons (Pogona vitticeps) on a couple of occasions. This juvenile was found in a spinifex clump at night.
CentralNetted1.jpg

This adult lived on a pile of concrete blocks in the middle of a clay pan.
CentralBearded1.jpg

CentralBearded2.jpg

I saw Burns' Dragon (Amphibolurus burnsi) in trees along this watercourse but they always fled to cover before I could take a photo.
habitat12.jpg

I was really pleased to see these dragons (Tympanocryptis tetraporiphora) standing like this. I have read of this behaviour before but this was the first time that I observed it in the field. The lizards stand so that their white bellies face the sun and reflect some of the light. The were doing this at noon one day when the temperature was already a searing 40C.
Tympanocryptis1.jpg

tympanocryptis2.jpg

These dragons lived on clay pans.
tympanoHabitat1.jpg

habitat7.jpg

... sometimes the dragons were found on the road at night. Most in October seemed to be in the process of shedding.
tympano2.jpg

tympano4.jpg

This lizard was identified on another forum as a Tympanocryptis intima, another of the three species of Tympanocryptis that live in this area.
tympano1.jpg

These cute little marsupials were common on the road at night. I think that they were Fat-tailed Dunnarts. Sometimes, they would just sit like this and would ignore the flashing camera.
dunnart1a.jpg

Regards,
David

awsome shots.

i like the standign up one. dragons, well beardies absorb the D3 and uv mostly throguh their beards and chest. but i would think he's just sun bakign and mucking around. awsoem shots. congradulations..!!

David, ive been loving the series of photos, they are top notch.

Its really good how youve been showing not only photos of the animals, but the environment you found them in too - very interesting.

The shots of that one standing up are awesome!

Hello

Hello,

Great pictures!! Thanks for posting them!! They are awesome!!:D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back