Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laefiren

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi again guys. How do you guys keep your tanks humid without also flooding them with water?
I’m getting a little sick of manually emptying out the water in the tank the hard way. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for a long term thing or if everyone just drills drains into them. I’m not really comfortable with drilling glass so I’ve been looking at the part glass part melamine tanks that ReptileOne do as they’re the only ones I’ve seen so far that don’t have a glass base. Has anyone got any good ideas that could help me out?

Frog tax attached.
2E2ED41E-9DB1-4108-846B-0AC7039930FE.jpeg2BDA1D26-4B5C-49F3-AC7F-235E5C492B80.jpeg3665A7FC-82FC-451A-A573-687A35C919BC.jpeg5760A9C3-6C8A-4479-8D5A-61B2CB1AF753.jpeg2BDA1D26-4B5C-49F3-AC7F-235E5C492B80.jpeg3665A7FC-82FC-451A-A573-687A35C919BC.jpeg

Less ventilation + more spraying (get an automatic mister if u can)

Don’t empty the tank the hard way anymore (assuming you’re scooping it out), cut a 1m piece of hose put one end in the water and suck the other end untill u get a mouthful of water (if you’re lucky you won’t get a mouthful of water) then dump the other end into a bucket or bin or wherever and it’ll siphon’s all the water out :)

What about a mini water pump? You won't have to get a mouthful of water each time if it works.:)

Firstly, you do not need to risk getting a mouthful of dirty water. You can buy relatively cheap hand operated siphon pump that has a one-way valve and just requires a bit of initial hand squeezing to bring up the water and start the siphoning process. I have not actually used any of the following, but they remain on sale so they likely do what they are supposed to do: Haigh Siphon Pump $8 at BCF; Amazon Aquarium Hand Siphon $9; and other products from places like Total Tools, Super Cheap Autos, Repco, Aquarium Shops, Bunnings etc. - at varying prices.

My next comment is a question. You appear to have an awesome set for your frogs but why is your water so muddy? Do you have soil under the gravel or do you have the plants in normal pots with holes in the bottom? I can suggest some alternatives that allows you to have clear water without the need to have to regularly change it, but only if you are interested.

Love the look of the frogs. They appear comfortable and healthy. Good stuff.

What sort of humidity are you chasing for caerulea? They aren't a particularly "wet" species, 50-60% rh is fine.
Misting once in the evening should be enough, if not partially covered vents might be the way to go to boost your rh.
Keep in mind that long term over saturated conditions do leave your froggo's open to bacterial infections.
The most practical bio active enclosures I've owned all had drainage taps but what Ive done lately is just install a small pump (for nano tanks) at the bottom of the drainage layer for when it's time to flush the substrate (every 4-6 months) other than that I try to avoid ever having water sitting in the drainage layer.

Last edited:
I don't do anything fancy, just use the coco fiber rolls a the bottom and one side of the cage, have a big water bowl/pond (glass and clean it daily) and just use a spray bottle over the fake plants once daily. There is a heat cord in the corner - one likes the warm, the other prefers the cool. Once every two months (Or when I remember - like the snake tank!) I'll take it all out, wash, replace and F10 it all. They've not had any issues as far as I can tell!

Back