Drysdalia coronoides venom

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicotas

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if any one have seen some information or documentation on venom or envenomation with Drysdalia Coronoides ?
Thank

Im sure lots of people have been bitten by these little guys,
I was nipped on the palm by one in January this year and while it was just like a bee sting
i still have a little hard lump at the bite site.

Drysdalia Coronoides for those not sure these snakes are commonly called the... white lipped snake.
............solar 17 (baden)

nope never been bitten by one of those...have been bitten by a brown though

I had to go out to one yesterday,
The lady who saw it called it a whippa,
because that is what she said they called them where she grew up in Tasmania.

Now with the introduction of Kookaburras to Tasmania, D.corronoides is becoming rare in some areas where it used to be comon.
Also, this year I had Ken Winkel ask for samples of the whitelip venom which I supplied to him as well as smalleyed venom,
which is very different of course.

So yeah, whitelipped whipsnakes

The whitelip bit a guy in Frankston and we identified it for the hospitol
who contacted us because they had no idea, lol..

The other pic is of the smalleyed from Rosebud being milked.

Last edited:
Hi, I was wondering if any one have seen some information or documentation on venom or envenomation with Drysdalia Coronoides ?
Thank

Perhaps talk to Scott Eipper or Bryan Fry on this one. Scott mentioned on another forum that a bite from a White-Lipped required AV recently.

I got bitten on my finger by a baby last xmas. A very slight sting and small area of redness which persisted for about a week, and also some very minor swelling. I was surprised by this considering the size of the snake.

One of the reason ARVU me asked for the venom samples was to work out the best way to treat the bite of d.corronoides, the results from about 100 tests are due to be released next month...hopefully ill be able to post them here.

Attachments

• swampy 047 [1600x1200].jpg
    swampy 047 [1600x1200].jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 90
  • swampy 050 [1600x1200].jpg
    swampy 050 [1600x1200].jpg
    37 KB · Views: 92
  • swampy 059 [1600x1200].jpg
    swampy 059 [1600x1200].jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 90
  • swampy 062 [1600x1200].jpg
    swampy 062 [1600x1200].jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited by a moderator:
all snake bites in tasmania are treated by the same anti-Venom so that is Tigersnake ,copperhead and white lip :D

Not to sure about the venom. I picked my first one up today in the hills outside Melbourne, I've done heaps of copperheads & tigers before but this is my first white lip, cutest little thing, someones cat brought it indoors, luckily it got loose. The lady that called thought it was dead, went to pick it up then panicked when it moved so she dropped it in the sink, called me to get it & all ends well. Felt like giving the cat a foot in the backside though!!!!!

The baby White-lipped Snake that tagged me

White-lipped_snake.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back