Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PythonOwner25

Reaction score
Hi everyone, looking through my photos tonight from my trip to central Australia last year...and I have a photo of this large (what looks to be) a Northern Dtella or something...the only thing is... I found it in alice springs so i doubt it was a northern Dtella...Also I am pretty sure it wasn't G.montium, Purpuracsens or G. variegata (becasue i saw all these species nearby and all look different and were much smaller) The size of this gecko was about 20cm head to tail.

Here are some pics of it.

Attachments

• 456.jpg
    456.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 455.jpg
    455.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 141
That looks like an asian house gecko

Not overly, apart from the colour there's not an awful lot in common. Definately not an AHG.

Looks to me like a gehyra of some sort. Maybe australis, they don't range that far but they are a common gecko up here so could be a hitch hiker. I would lean to a Gehyra purpurascens, did you see the others in the same setting? Ie. on brick walls? Because if you didn't it could account for the different look.

AHG!!!! NDs dont occur anywhere near alice springs but AHGs are everywhere there. it has the wrong colored eyes for a ND and at 20 cm is too big for a ND anyway. possible over estimation ?

Last edited:
It a gehyra not a Hemidactylus no one can positively Id to species level without shots of the underside of the foot

Gordo you live in darwin and you cant spot an ahg from 20 paces shame on you!
I can even tell you it is a 2 year old female and its favorite color is green.

Its all to do with the curvature of their nails pretty obvious!! gees chill out aps people.

It's G. purpurascens. I base this on the lack of pattern and size of the animal (as in stockiness rather than length)

It a gehyra not a Hemidactylus no one can positively Id to species level without shots of the underside of the foot
There's no way that's montium or variegata Scott, unless another species creeps in from the north (which is possible) that has to be purpurascens.

Hi jordo

You and I both know how reliable distributions are.... The cheeky geckos don't read books.

While agree it is most likely a purp I cannot completely discount a varigrant Australis. Mind you we both know what is presently happening with gehyra taxonomy so it maybe a sp nov

Cheers
scott

My Theory...its a G.australis that hitched a ride on someone's caravan in top end area, then decided to get off at Alice Springs make a small population in the Big4 caravan park (thats where i found it) lol

Using the brickwork as a guide, I’d reckon that the lizard I question is around 12 to 13 cm TL. It certainly has the general appearance of G. australis but is an awful long way from home. Given the size and its ability to appear almost patternless, it could also comfortably be G. purpurascens. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the behaviour of the latter. Is it known to occupy houses? Did you manage to ID the smaller gecko?

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back