Eastern long neck scute- shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisaro

Reaction score
Hello!

I have an eastern long neck turtle who is currently shedding his scutes. This is a very exciting thing to observe, but it's a little confusing: I've never seen it happen before. I've had this guy for 11 years now, but I don't know his age or his origins because I am at least the third person to have kept him. He was full- sized when I got him. I knew he'd be shedding from time to time, but guessed it was subtle since I was never seeing it. It's very obvious now, plastron scales left on his basking island, etc.

I've had a hard time finding species- specific information on how often he should be shedding, but the general turtle information points to annually (the turtles in the park pond are visibly shedding now too!). Does anyone have any information or experience? It doesn't seem right he's only shedding for the first time in 11 years!.. I get a sneaking suspicion this could mean he's quite old?

He lives outside in a pond, with all the sunshine he likes. I'm careful about water quality. He eats well and is generally as bright eyed and fast swimming as could be wished. When he's been to the vet he was pronounced in excellent shape.

What do you think? Thank you!

Eisaro, there won’t be much in the way of species specific info on the shedding of scutes because they are all quite similar…or more correctly, unpredictably similar!
When young and growing they should shed regularly, but they are all different and shedding intervals can vary greatly. You are quite correct in your case…when their growth slows with age the shedding will also decrease, and in some cases will almost cease. I have many adult turtles across many different species and they are all so different in this regard, even within the same species.
Your turtle sounds quite normal.

The frequency of Shedding in turtles is directly related to growth rate, has nothing to do with age, species or time. Hatchlings and juveniles grow a lot quicker and therefore shed more frequently. Adult specimens never stop growing but it slows to such a point that it's barely noticeable, a mm or so every few years. ELN are extremely slow growing normally so their shedding isn't frequent. My adult breeding male ELN is 14cm SCL and had only shed once in the last 5 years. The female has shed 3 times in the sane period as she is only 18cm and still growing albeit very slowly.

Last edited:
Eisaro, there won’t be much in the way of species specific info on the shedding of scutes because they are all quite similar…or more correctly, unpredictably similar!
When young and growing they should shed regularly, but they are all different and shedding intervals can vary greatly. You are quite correct in your case…when their growth slows with age the shedding will also decrease, and in some cases will almost cease. I have many adult turtles across many different species and they are all so different in this regard, even within the same species.
Your turtle sounds quite normal.
Thanks a lot!

The frequency of Shedding in turtles is directly related to growth rate, gas nothing to do with age, species or time. Hatchlings and juveniles grow a lot quicker and therefore shed more frequently. Adult specimens never stop growing but it slows to such a point that it's barely noticeable, a mm or so every few years. ELN are extremely slow growing normzlly so their shedding isn't frequent. My adult breeding male ELN is 14cm SCL and had only shed once in the last 5 years. The female has shed 3 times in the sane period as she is only 18cm and still growing albeit very slowly.
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back