Eastern Long-Necked turtles breeding...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

L3GACY

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Around 18 (or more) months ago I moved my two long-necked turtles to larger quarters so that they could have a better life than in an aquarium. After considering building a pond i sent them to work with my mum one day. She's a principal at a school with a very nice pond that is surrounded by buildings on all sides (no hope of escape). It supported a large colony of goldfish and yabbies. Perfect I thought. Well apparently it really was perfect.... I got a phone call today telling me that there were baby turtles swimming around and sunning themselves.

My question is when you're dealing with a pond system that is say 15m x 5m (multiple tiers, waterfall etc) can a population of turtles sustain themselves? I'm a bit worried that any babies are going to die of starvation if they continue to breed or if there are already too many of them. I mean it's not as if they can just up and leave if their food sources run out.

Your thoughts?

a lot of the babies are likly to die you should move them into a smaller tank as soon as possible

Thanks for the tips, that seriously sucks but at least being a fish breeder I've got plenty of tanks laying around... Guess it's off to spend my day chasing turtles :(. Thanks again guys, you've hopefully saved some turtles lives.

Just an update to wrap things up. The "babies" my mum found were a couple of small turtles about the diameter of a cup. They definitely weren't put there so the only thing i can think of is they hatched earlier this year sometime and they're the only ones that made it. Who knows... They looked healthy enough to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back