Eastern Water Dragon Brumation? Help!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianAussie

Reaction score
So I've got a 2 year old female EWD thats been acting a little weird recently. Shes been spending entire days in her water dish. When I change the water, forcing her out of the water, she goes about roaming her enclosure like she normally would, but she digs a lot more than usual. She has a roof over her water dish and she tends to use it as a hide. I got her fairly recently and have yet to build an adult-sized enclosure for her, so she is currently in a glass terrarium with not enough substrate to dig burrows. (I'm starting to build her adult enclosure next weekend.) I live in Canada and it gets very cold here in winter (your summer). Outdoor temps here in Canada have recently had a significant drop, as we are now in fall. This makes the indoor temps a little cooler at the same time, which makes a suitable winter climate for her. Also, she hasn't been eating as much as she normally would. I understand that this may be because her body temp is a lot cooler from being in the water more of the time, instead of basking. For reference, her basking temp is currently at 36 degrees Celcius. I figured that this behavior may be because she is wanting to brumate since the recent temp drop. Could this be true? Should I be letting her brumate or just adjust the temps to imitate an Australian summer?

Back