Eastern Water Dragon hatchling problems

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calisto

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I went to the Castle Hill Reptile Expo last month, had no intention of getting a new reptile at all but I happened to win an Eastern Water Dragon hatchy - thanks mainly to the enthusiastic group I went with and the fact that the bloke holding the contest tipped the odds in my favour. Caught up in all the excitement, I agreed to take on the new dragon.
I have had a Central Beardie male for 7 years and have the spare equipment necessary. The baby was put in a fish tank with UV tube plus reflector. The tank is only 2 feet, with a plan to upgrade the dragon to a adult sized tank in time. I have offered him baby woodies and vegies along with enough water to take a dip without it being too deep as to drown.
He was extremely timid, and would actively try to avoid being picked up/handled etc.

On the 22nd February I had to head over to New Zealand for 12 days. I had only had the dragon for several days before that, so I had to leave it in the care of my mother and brother. I left them detailed instructions (they have experience with my Central Beardie of course). Unfortunately the first day I was away I got bad news that my mother's cat somehow had attacked the baby dragon and severed a third of the tail. I told them to seek vet help, remove the water tub and make sure the tail wouldn't be prone to infection. Despite my instructions, on my return the dragon's tail was not tended to, the severed section was hanging by a dry tiny piece of skin, though the wound has healed (since his tail is so tiny). He is quite active, I do not see him eat but he is maintaining his weight and also doing regular poo's.

Now I was quite upset at the news of the poor thing being attacked, and angry that my family didn't take proper measures to prevent the cat from accessing the lizard. No one knows how the cat got in - in any case I've taken care of that for now. I felt so bad for the dragon, especially since the lizard was basically thrust on me and I never really properly prepared a tank for him in the first place.

I've been considering letting him go in Lane Cove National Park where there is a good population of Water Dragons, but I am not sure how he will go with only 2/3'rds of his tail remaining when it comes to swimming. The other concern is will his immune system cope with living in the wild. He is definitely not tamed down and still effectively "wild".

I've also been considering giving him away to someone - who is better equipped to care for a Water Dragon. At this point, I really don't have a lot of spare time for another lizard, especially one that is far more complicated than my Beardie.

I really feel sorry for the little lizard and don't want traumize him any further. Any help would be appreciated.

what ever you do , DONT release it into the wild . give it away if need be but don't release it .

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't planning on doing anything hasty without proper advice.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't planning on doing anything hasty without proper advice.
the first thing you have to remember is accidents happen , its too late for shoulda woulda coulda everyone new to the hobby makes mistakes . has the part of the tail now been removed ? if it has and the wound has healed then that should be the end of that issue . as long as its still eating and poo`ing then it should be fine .

Yeah, but I'm not new to herping - I have a 6 year old beardie. But you're right, what's done is done. The dodgy part has been removed and the wound is dry and sealed yes. I don't see him eat, but he's definitely pooing regularly.

I would prefer to find someone to take him, who has more time and a better environment to house him though.

Yeah, but I'm not new to herping - I have a 6 year old beardie. But you're right, what's done is done. The dodgy part has been removed and the wound is dry and sealed yes. I don't see him eat, but he's definitely pooing regularly.

I would prefer to find someone to take him, who has more time and a better environment to house him though.

Don't let this get you down!
Post a picture of your enclosure, list your temps and your diet and I'm sure people here will be more than happy to give you direction.
Releasing it is illegal by the way.

View attachment 306930View attachment 306931

He's under a 40W reflector, which he can get very close to if he wants. Also a UVB tube, same 10.0 type which my Central Beardie uses. It's a 2ft fish tank, covered on colder days to keep the heat in. He did have a larger water container to properly submerge in but with the tail issue, I've removed it for now.

There are baby wood roaches running around under the paper which I assume he catches now and then since he's pooping. I offer him nasturtium leaves, rocket and endive salad, with vitamin powder - again same stuff as the beardie gets. But this one does not touch the greens at all. But not so unusual for a youngster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back