Eastern Water Dragon setup question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesagame

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m new so hopefully this is ok in here! I live in the UK but was pointed in your direction as I’m looking at getting an EWD and it seems a lot of the info I’m finding about them in the UK is possibly outdated or relates to groups and they’re saying that a 4-5 by 2 foot base with a minimum 100cm height is fine for a pair. It seems they’re not that popular as pets here, or not many people are talking about them online, so I was hoping you guys might be able to help answer a question I have about a short term setup. Unfortunately with our unpredictable weather a full time outdoor enclosure isn’t possible, really wish it was though!

Because they seem to be rare up for sale here I’ve been keeping an eye on preloved as I’d quite like to rehome rather than buy a baby and one popped up in my area, less than ten miles away, with a vivarium. I just don’t want to jump in and get him if it wouldn’t be best for him, especially as I was still in the planning stages before he appeared. He comes with a 3ft by 2ft by 3ft viv which seems too small since he looks like an adult. I’d definitely upgrade it if it I did get him. My main question is, as it looks like he’s an adult, they say he’s 1-2 years old, would it be ok to put him in a vivarium with a base size of 4ft by 2ft for a couple of years and then upgrade again? I can get the height up to maybe 6ft at a push but would have to double check my space height. Realistically this is the biggest base size I can fit in the space I have. In the future I would upgrade to something more like a 5-6ft by 3ft floor space, though that would be a couple of years down the line when I move so he’d be 3-4 by then. Basically, would that be ok? Would the extra height make up for less floor space with enough climbing areas?

In the summer he would have an outdoor enclosure if temps and humidity were right and as I work from home I could have him with a basking lamp, pool and hides just loose in the room with me if I dragon proofed it and he was one who wasn’t stressed out by that. I know that wouldn’t make up for the vivarium size though if it really was too small.

Also I am aware that they aren’t necessarily as tame as a lot of beardies, I have my BTS as my friendly lizard so it wouldn’t be a snuggle on the sofa for TV reptile. Then again my beardie was not a snuggle on the sofa lizard if you didn’t want to get attacked all the time!

I really want him but I don’t want to get him and it not be big enough and cause issues for him. It’s one of those things where he’s so close and an animal that I plan on getting at some time and it’s so tempting! If it’s not even remotely suitable I’ll put it off though, his health is more important than me getting a lizard I want. Thanks for reading if you got this far, this ended up longer than planned!

I'm still in the early stages of keeping one of these guys, but I have to emphasize that 4' x 2' is just not enough floor space unfortunately. 6' x 3' is a bare minimum for a single adult mainly because they are big lizards and very active. Much more like a monitor than a beardie or blue tongue. Adults can be 3' long and one will feel cramped in a tank 2' wide, prehaps even finding it difficult to turn on the spot. Similarly they need a tall enclosure (probably 4' minimum) and deep water. Most people keep them outside because of the large space requirements but obviously the UK isn't great for that. A water dragon would definitely appreciate a 6' high climbing area but I don't think that counterbalances the small floor space.

As far as taming goes they don't like being held, although they can get quite used to you and will happily stay near you and take food from your hand.

I know it is super tempting to get one, I held off for a while until I was able to build a big enough tank. I know people do keep them in 4' x 2' enclosures but from what I've seen I don't think that is acceptable.

What is currently preventing you from getting a larger enclosure?

That’s what I was afraid of, glad I came on here to check. Considering the size of them compared to a beardie or BTS the floor space did seem like it would likely be too small. As it’s the recommended size by quite a few places and when I said the size of space I had it was a suggestion I got a bit ahead of myself I think.

The space I have is 4 foot wide, it may be able to go 3 foot deep but I have limited space and it would go on top of my existing vivarium if possible. At the moment I’ve been living with my parents due to health issues, but as I’m saving for a house deposit I’ll have space in the future so it looks like it’ll be a wait instead.

There are a couple of other lizards I was thinking of getting but they seem even rarer than the EWD here and with that one popping up it seemed too good to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back