Eating frequency

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack86

Reaction score
Just a question on eating....
My guy is 5 months old, have had him since the start of June. Has eaten twice since I've had him. He ate consistently every week for four weeks before I got him but prior to that at irregular intervals of 10 or so days, sometimes 2 weeks, sometimes 3 weeks. I figured because he was eating consistently for 4 weeks every week before getting him he would be a nice easy feeder but it has not worked out that way. He started on pinkie mice but a week before I got him he moved up to fuzzies so I feed him (or try to feed him) fuzzies. Everything you read about young snakes says they should be fed every 5 to 7 days but that is just not feesable with this guy. He will just flat out refuse it. I tried feeding a week from his last feed with no success and Sunday will be two weeks since he ate and I will try again. Long story short, do I need to be concerned with the frequency of which he eats? He is now starting to look all wrinkly which is how he looked before he shed 10 days after getting him. His shed took forever and came off in parts which suggests a humidity issue which I know could be fixed with different substrate but I'm worried about mold and him getting an infection. I've added a larger water bowl though. I'll attach a picture of the enclosure. You'll see he is curled up on the cold side, I've lifted up the little flower pot he curls up in. Temps in enclosure are 32-35 hot hide, 20-23 cool hide (can't seem to get warmer here) and I use a 5w heat matt connected to a thermostat. I have a uvb 5.0 100w light on during the day (some days don't turn it on at all) I am aware he doesn't need uvb but was also told that having it won't do him any damage either. I basically just use it as a viewing light during the day only. Any advise/reassurance would be greatly appreciated as I am still learning. Thank you.PXL_20220715_002044969.jpg

Surely someone on here can help me? I genuinely thought it was quite important for young snakes to feed weekly, not fortnightly. It's been so erratic since the start and it worries me.

Last edited:
It's normal for all the anteresia species to be fussy at start so his history isn't a concern. Nor is it a concern that he's not eating because it's winter. Snakes aren't rushing about in your backyards eating every 5-7 days anytime of the year but ESPECIALLY not in winter. Regardless of age of snake their reptiles, they brumate, they can go months without eating even as a hatchling and not be a big deal. He's fine.

It's normal for all the anteresia species to be fussy at start so his history isn't a concern. Nor is it a concern that he's not eating because it's winter. Snakes aren't rushing about in your backyards eating every 5-7 days anytime of the year but ESPECIALLY not in winter. Regardless of age of snake their reptiles, they brumate, they can go months without eating even as a hatchling and not be a big deal. He's fine.
Mmm my stimsons is doing the same thing, but we're in the warmer and more humid months of the year. I'm assuming this isn't too big a deal as well??

Mmm my stimsons is doing the same thing, but we're in the warmer and more humid months of the year. I'm assuming this isn't too big a deal as well??
How old squeaky? And when did it eat last?
They should start eating soon. I'm still waiting as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back