enclosure heating issues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinxed

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Good evening all!

So I've recently just put together my very first enclosure and have it all set up after reading multiple posts and asking questions on here, But I'm having issues with getting the enclosure temperature up high.
I'll post some photos bellow but what I have includes. **I don't own a snake yet as I wanted to buy all the equipment and get it setup correct before buying**

7Lt Sistema container with no air holes in it yet
Reptile one 7w heat matt
Exotech dimming/timer night time drop thermostat (day temp set to 33* and night time set to 27*, day set from 0800-1900)
I have bamboo paper towel as substrate and
Bamboo sticks as truss which I've hot glue gunned the ends to stop from falling out or moving.

Last night when I set it up and turned it on it was sitting at 27 for the majority of the night which looks like the night setting works but now it's nearly 13.30 and the temp reads 26.5* and its been on the day setting since 0800.

The enclosure is located in my bedroom on my computer desk.
Do I need to use to carboard to stick around the enclosure on the outside for more insulation?

Pics bellow, any advice and or help I would greatly appreciate! Thank you :)

Attachments

• PXL_20211017_091717176.jpg
    PXL_20211017_091717176.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20211017_091729465.jpg
    PXL_20211017_091729465.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20211017_091742793.jpg
    PXL_20211017_091742793.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 15
How are you measuring the temp? An infrared temp gun is the most accurate and practical. Remember you want to be reading the floor temp where the snake makes contact. Where is the thermostat probe positioned? It would be a good idea to put air holes in now so it's set right first as the air flow will affect the temperature.

I'm just using the temp off the thermostat for now, the probe is on the back wall right above the floor above the heat matt

I strongly recommend you get an infrared temp gun, they're not very expensive. Put the probe in between the mat and the base of the tub making sure it's in contact with the base and keep adjusting the thermostat by measuring the floor temp from the inside with the temp gun. You can tape the probe to the base just be sure it's in direct contact. The thermostat probes aren't usually very accurate and should never be trusted alone without using a thermometer to verify.

Stick the probe between the mat and base of tub

Stick thermometer inside tub above heat mat

do NOT put thermostat probe inside on floor, if it gets wet, your mat will go into overdrive

Hey all! Thanks for everyone's messages and help.

I've just moved into my new place and have just finished setting up the enclosure and using what Herpetology has said above.
I don't think I'm doing it correctly and getting correct temps. One thing ive also done is bundled a little bit of heat wrap under the probe to help create direct contact between the probe and the base of the tub and a bit of spacing from the probe and heatmat.
The readings as of right now are.
30.2 thermostat 25.6 thermometer.

I'm going to buy a temp gun off ebay soon to help get a better reading from inside the tub.

Maybe im overworrying but I feel like I want to get the enclosure all set up JUST right before I buy my first snake haha

I'll post some photos in a second of what I've done.

Now keep in mind, I'm yet to put any holes in the enclosure too. That's what I'll do next.
PXL_20211103_075835951.jpgPXL_20211103_075835951.jpgPXL_20211103_075906256.jpgPXL_20211103_075925351.jpgPXL_20211103_080052491.jpgPXL_20211103_080103304.jpg

So you will want to move the inside probe to the floor a few cm from wall

you will probably have to adjust thermostat so the reading between thermostat gives you the right temp to inside probe (might have to set thermostat to 35-36 to get a 31-32 temp inside

also please get a temp gun!

Ive just made another adjustment, Ive placed the bellow tub probe to sit in the middle of the heatmat which is the middle of the heated area of the enclosure as there was more heat there than the corner where it was in those photos and I've also moved the inside probe to the side touching the floor which is a warmer spot closer to the center temp. I'll buy a temp gun asap and cross check the temps. But I'm getting much better temps now than I was prior to having it inside.

When you say move the inside probe to the floor a few cm from the wall, what exactly do you mean? have it a few cm off the wall and touching the floor or move it a few cm up the wall so its not touching the floor?

You want it more so in the middle like this under the paper - I also recommend getting a nother hide that you can sit on top of the paper over the probe, A common one is a plant pot saucer from bunnings)
1635930697278.png

sweet, I've done that now and looks much better temp wise. Ordered a temp gun too which will arrive tomorrow.
Thanks again for your help!

Everything is starting to look good now! Thank you everyone for your help! Next post of mine will finally be photos of my new carpet once I get one :)

Attachments

• PXL_20211105_013407097.jpg
    PXL_20211105_013407097.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back