Enclosure set up for a Woma

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferris123

Reaction score
Hi guys this is my second post. Just a few questions about my Donald's new enclosure, feeding weight so on.....
I recently moved my Woma into a 60cmLx45cmWx30cmH Exo Terra glass enclosure (because at 2.5 months and at 65cm long he quickly outgrew his Hatchling kit set up. He has UVB lights, a heat lamp because I couldn't properly regulate his heating with the heat mat in the larger space, plenty of hides and climbing sources. He seems very happy but is there anything anyone would recommend I change with this set up?
When I got him he was already and established feeder on 1 fuzzy mouse a week, in the time I have had him he has grown quite a bit and I now have him on 2 fuzzys a week and was thinking of moving him onto 1 fuzzy and possibly 1 pinkie rat a week so I can switch him over to rats more easily. Would you suggest moving him straight to pinkie rats? Move him to a fuzzy mouse and pinky rat or just keep him at 2 fuzzys?
Last question is his weight, I am not quite sure he is where he should be with his weight. After his first feed and poo with me he weighed 40.1 grams. At the last feed and poo he weighed 55.7 grams and was a bit over 60 cm long (don't have a current weight and length cos he is in shed). He gains around 2 to 3 grams a feed (after poo). Is this normal? Or do I need to feed him more?
I have put some pics in so you can see set up
Thanks for the advice šŸ˜Š

Attachments

• IMG_20220403_142406.jpg
    IMG_20220403_142406.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20220403_142429.jpg
    IMG_20220403_142429.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220315_210630.jpg
    IMG_20220315_210630.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220315_210626.jpg
    IMG_20220315_210626.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 17
Hi guys this is my second post. Just a few questions about my Donald's new enclosure, feeding weight so on.....
I recently moved my Woma into a 60cmLx45cmWx30cmH Exo Terra glass enclosure (because at 2.5 months and at 65cm long he quickly outgrew his Hatchling kit set up. He has UVB lights, a heat lamp because I couldn't properly regulate his heating with the heat mat in the larger space, plenty of hides and climbing sources. He seems very happy but is there anything anyone would recommend I change with this set up?
When I got him he was already and established feeder on 1 fuzzy mouse a week, in the time I have had him he has grown quite a bit and I now have him on 2 fuzzys a week and was thinking of moving him onto 1 fuzzy and possibly 1 pinkie rat a week so I can switch him over to rats more easily. Would you suggest moving him straight to pinkie rats? Move him to a fuzzy mouse and pinky rat or just keep him at 2 fuzzys?
Last question is his weight, I am not quite sure he is where he should be with his weight. After his first feed and poo with me he weighed 40.1 grams. At the last feed and poo he weighed 55.7 grams and was a bit over 60 cm long (don't have a current weight and length cos he is in shed). He gains around 2 to 3 grams a feed (after poo). Is this normal? Or do I need to feed him more?
I have put some pics in so you can see set up
Thanks for the advice šŸ˜Š

Hi Ferris,

Sorry that you haven't had any replies to your question. Disclaimer - I'm not the most experienced person here, but since you've had no replies I'll do what I can to help.

I have a woma myself. Advice given to me was the earlier I can get off mice and onto rats the better. (Sounds as though some snakes would prefer mice over rats so the sooner you can change, the less chance of being reluctant or similar)?

So in your situation if you can get him to take the rat - I *think* that would be the better option. (IIRC I believe Rats are more nutritious than mice too?)

FWIW your enclosure looks fantastic! Real nice work. Makes mine an embarrasement with a bit of newspaper substrate!

A photo of the whole body of the snake, and not just the head may be helpful in determining whether your snake is underfed, etc if you can post. From what I can tell it seems OK - but a clearer photo of the body would definitely help.

Hi Ferris,

Had a woma 10 years ago. When I had him, I didn't feed him pinkie anything. Got him when he was about 3 months old from the breeder and I started feeding him fuzzy rats straight away. I did a fuzzy every 5-7 days. I think don't worry so much about the weight. If he looks healthy, sheds, eats, poops, moves around fine then he should be okay.

What's the temperature on the temp gun on the substrate where you have the heat mat? I had problems with a thick substrate when I had my woma. The heat wasn't going through. So I ended up going with a heat cord and butchers paper for his bedding.

Latest posts

Back