Enclosure size

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeZaKa

Reaction score
Need a bit of feedback on this one, Ive been reading and re reading the NSW reptile keepers standards for enclosure sizes and I gotta admit its doing my head in. Can I confirm that minimum sizing is as follows??? Class D (BHP/Centralian) is 1.25m x 0.5m (width x depth). I understand...I think.... that for the bredli that this can be back wall measurements (height by depth) as it is classified as terrestrial. Ps. Please note I intend to build for full grown size and I am looking at going at least 4foot by 2 foot possibly 5 foot for bhp and the same in a terrestrial setup for the centralian. Any info by someone who gets it appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yeah that's right. It doesn't have to be exactly those dimensions though. As long as no dimension is smaller than 0.5, it can be any shape or size you want as long as the floor or wall area works out to larger than 0.6m^2. So a 4x2 = 1.2x0.6 = 0.72m^2 and 5x2 = 1.5x0.6 = 0.9m^2.

Also, just a note, terrestrial means ground dwelling. The word you're looking for is arboreal (or, in the case of the Bredli, semi-arboreal).

Also, just a note, terrestrial means ground dwelling. The word you're looking for is arboreal (or, in the case of the Bredli, semi-arboreal).[/QUOTE]

:facepalm: Just gave myself a head slap and went out to get my third coffee for the morning, first two obviously didn't do anything.... thought arboreal typed terrestrial. Thanks for the feedback saximus exactly what I wanted to know. Ill get building now. Cheers. Phil.

You have a choice here . You can abide by the min ruling or you can use the old fashioned and more humane method . The cage should be at least half as long as the adult snake will grow in one direction . 8ft snake at least 4ft either long or high . you are not restricted in how big you go . I have a few very big enclosures in my lounge room :]

You have a choice here . You can abide by the min ruling or you can use the old fashioned and more humane method . The cage should be at least half as long as the adult snake will grow in one direction . 8ft snake at least 4ft either long or high . you are not restricted in how big you go . I have a few very big enclosures in my lounge room :]

Yeah not looking at going minimum. Just wanting to make sure what minimum is before I build. Ill end up with either a 5 or more likely 6foot long. Would hate to build and learn it was too small. But saximus has kindly pointed me in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back