Enclosure type - Childrens Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellewidd

Reaction score
Hi there,

Hoping someone will have an answer.

Soon to be first time reptile owner!

I’m getting a 4 year old 100% het marble Childrens python. He has been brought up with a heat mat as a source of warmth.

Just wondering for his enclosure what would be best a vivarium (glass and melamine) or a glass terrarium.

Thank you

A glass and melamine enclosure :)
Thank you. So I should lean more towards the vivarium S2M1266 over the terrarium RTF1260?
Have included both pictures.

Attachments

• 421E43D7-9B2F-4602-B9E3-EC564DD0E4CD.jpeg
    421E43D7-9B2F-4602-B9E3-EC564DD0E4CD.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 4
  • D4F00793-E730-45FB-BFC8-3D59AA0AAC56.jpeg
    D4F00793-E730-45FB-BFC8-3D59AA0AAC56.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 4
Thank you. So I should lean more towards the vivarium S2M1266 over the terrarium RTF1260?
Have included both pictures.
Depending on where you live, you may want to avoid any enclosure made from glass or which have too many air vents as they are not good at holding heat.

For your python to be happy and healthy you need to be able to maintain consistent temperature and these types of enclosures make that difficult.

I have 1 glass enclosure which I had to cover in insulation to stop the heat escaping.

Personally, I prefer full box type melamine enclosures are they hold heat well, and with built in thermostats, they are easy to control.

You can find some really affordable used enclosures online which are a great alternative to expensive brand new enclosures.

To date I have only ever bought 1 brand new enclosure and it cost me close to $2000. The cheapest enclosure I bought was $80 for a almost brand new 3ftx2ftx2ft. Which is a decent enclosure for your little guy.

Then go on ebay and find some fake plants, grab some non fertilised coco husk from bunnings as a substrate with some garden leaves and you can create a really awesome enclosure for very little cost.

Good luck with your little guy, looking forward to pictures.

Attachments

• reptile-enclosures-black-melamine-amazing-amazon-1.jpg
    reptile-enclosures-black-melamine-amazing-amazon-1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 16
  • reptile-enclosures-melamine-white-amazing-amazon-1.jpg
    reptile-enclosures-melamine-white-amazing-amazon-1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220220_095423.jpg
    20220220_095423.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210710_121431.jpg
    20210710_121431.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 18
Depending on where you live, you may want to avoid any enclosure made from glass or which have too many air vents as they are not good at holding heat.

For your python to be happy and healthy you need to be able to maintain consistent temperature and these types of enclosures make that difficult.

I have 1 glass enclosure which I had to cover in insulation to stop the heat escaping.

Personally, I prefer full box type melamine enclosures are they hold heat well, and with built in thermostats, they are easy to control.

You can find some really affordable used enclosures online which are a great alternative to expensive brand new enclosures.

To date I have only ever bought 1 brand new enclosure and it cost me close to $2000. The cheapest enclosure I bought was $80 for a almost brand new 3ftx2ftx2ft. Which is a decent enclosure for your little guy.

Then go on ebay and find some fake plants, grab some non fertilised coco husk from bunnings as a substrate with some garden leaves and you can create a really awesome enclosure for very little cost.

Good luck with your little guy, looking forward to pictures.
Thank you so much. I have limited choice so ended up with a glass reptile one 90 x 60 x 60 enclosure. It gets moderately warm where I live. Winters only dip down to 13 early mornings and rise to about 18-20 during the cold months. So I feel like with the right heat source he’ll be fine.

Currently has aspen bedding as a substrate. Looking for other options for the future?

I have made a few tunnels as you can see in the pic. I used PVC pipe and aquarium grade sealant (selleys brand). The wood/branch I got off the beach and disinfectant it by pouring boiling water over it and drying in the sun.

I’m awaiting his hide to arrive - plastic guinea pig igloo which I’m hoping to decorate with pebbles and wood plank.

Just checking that the enclosure is looking ok and if anyone has any tips and hints about decorating?

Attachments

• CD8F67DC-1149-4AC0-B865-134CA56A332D.jpeg
    CD8F67DC-1149-4AC0-B865-134CA56A332D.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 16
Needs two hides, one on hot side one on cold side, need heat mat, and I have exact same enclosure get some cardboard or anything really and cover half the top or it will forever be too dry. For substrate get coir peat from bunnings, big block of blue one to make sure doesn't have fertiliser etc, add NO WHERE NEAR the water it recommends, and you'll be good to go.

Needs two hides, one on hot side one on cold side, need heat mat, and I have exact same enclosure get some cardboard or anything really and cover half the top or it will forever be too dry. For substrate get coir peat from bunnings, big block of blue one to make sure doesn't have fertiliser etc, add NO WHERE NEAR the water it recommends, and you'll be good to go.
Thank you

Back