Enforcing Licencing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dixilizards

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I just after people's opinions on;

- What are the reprimands to those that keep exotics and are caught doing so?
I know of a few keepers that have been caught and still have there entire collection with no restrictions imposed, this is both in VIC and NSW. Some had small fines but generally just a slap on the wrist.

- What are the reprimands to those that take from the wild and are caught trying to put them through there own collections?
Last year a non named person appeared in many newspapers having been caught with numerous wild caught animals by the authorities but still keeps and trades in wildlife.

- (Mainly a VIC Question) How many keepers have realised how easily forged the reptile licences here are in VIC? (they are simply a black and white printed licence)
Has anyone dealt with a bogus licence holder, any outcome for reporting them?

- (Mainly a VIC Question) How many people have reported an abuse on a reptile, be that in a 'petshop' or private persons' care and had both the RSPCA and DSE tell you to go to one another?

- How many people have sought out a VET for there beloved reptile and found the answer to be "we don't care for them here" or be told "to try another practice"?

- Specifically a Vic question, but how many people think it a mistake about to happen to have any person able to apply for an Advanced Licence and within 3 weeks (time of year dependant) have the licence and be able to purchase an Inland Taipan or Death Adder to keep in there own homes with no essential criteria to have been able to keep said animal, not to mention how to handle the animal if it has a bad slough or needs hands on care?

I don't expect every reply to answer all the above questions, or any reply's at all in fact, but these are just things I think are important and need to be addressed in a timely and knowledgeable fashion.
I want to see if anyone else in our reptile community agrees or can show me the light as to why it is perfect as it is.

Cheers,
John

What's the purpose of all these questions? The answers will be as varied as the people reading the question, and you'll get responses from those who think seriously about the implications of licensing, and those who are self-righteous and judgemental and believe everything the various bureaucracies tell them.

Point 1 - Penatlies imposed for keeping exotics vary from state to state- reflects the varying degree of importance the states place on the 'crime'
Point 2 - As above - you can research this yourself
Point 3 - Who cares - if someone wants to forge a licence, they will, in any state
Point 4 - Why is that question so important to you?
Point 5 - If you have a reptile pet, the best person to treat it is someone with the right qualifications - if a vet sends you elsewhere because he/she feels unable to deal with it, so what?
Point 6 - If someone with the requisite licence wants a Taipan or DA, and is prepared to take the associated risks, why shouldn't they get one?

No state system is perfect - they all fail to do what the set out to do - conserve wildlife. None of the regulations governing the management of (mostly captive bred) reptiles has any effect on wild reptile populations.

Jamie

I am a NSW gonna put my 2-bobs worth in here..:D

I will stay out of the first two arguments. I don't know enough about the 'political' side of things to be able to comment, except for that I think its wrong that one person gets away with something and then the next person loses their collection. The penalties should be the same for all.

The media only tell you what they want you to hear, to keep their stories juicy. They want you to know someone was caught illegally holding wildlife but it would make their story boring to tell you they were in fact not doing anything wrong. We don't know all the goss, only as much as is printed in the papers.

I always worry about ppl forging my license number. We got word back a couple years ago that we could advertise our reptiles for sale on shop windows provided it had our license number was also there. I don't particularly like that idea, gives ppl my number to go and do illegal stuff with.

Closest vet to me that can treat my snakes is a 140km return trip for me. Well worth the trip to me. Vets in town are no good with them at all, unless you know what is wrong with your snake and you know what it needs. But you can't complain about them admitting it. Last thing you want is someone trying to treat your pet and they have no idea what they are dealing with.

I have always shuddered at the thought of newbies and kids buying venomous snakes. I really can't believe that the VIC licenses are that lean on their restrictions. They need to change that. I am an old duck and can't even keep my pythons in their enclosures let alone letting a taipan or even just a red belly loose in the house. That is very wrong.

I will only comment on the last bit re- venomous snakes. I think this country is over-regulated to buggary as it is and the last thing we want is more regulations and restrictions. People should be responsible for what they do and how they do it instead of blaming the government, society, employer, etc, for their stuff ups and accidents. If some dope looses (escape) his/her dangerous snake through negligence, and someone else gets bitten, the dope should go to jail and pay for everything including the victim's funeral. If you are a self-confessed old duck who can't keep snakes in their enclosures, perhaps you shouldn't have any. Sorry for being blunt but I am being honest with you.

Last edited:
LOL. I haven't let any out for a while now. I am getting better. At one stage there they were learning to open their doors but I rectified that problem with locks and in one case a top opening lid which locked on the outside. Also had a good friend over to help me fit my heaters to the enclosures properly so the cords weren't through the door leaving gaps for them to squeeze out of.

Your point is a very good one. Ppl taking responsibility for their own actions and not blaming others is an excellent piece of advice. You see it all too often - someone else's fault for another's errors.

I have been receiving Pm's for the last little while since posting this thread, some helpful in answering there opinions on the first post's questions and others just plain rude and insulting.

I have not had any the above occur with regard to myself. We are being told not to take from the wild, don't keep exotics, don't mistreat animals etc... etc... and all the time especially with regards to reptiles each state and territory just seem to pick and choose who and what gets reprimanded. Not to mention the departments that are set in place for the protection of animals just turning a blind eye.

I am not trying to open a can of worms of open ended argumentative posts but merely the thoughts and personal beliefs of each fellow keeper that would like to put their thoughts forward.

John

Every now and then everyone manages to say something that will get the criticism rolling. But if its constructive you can learn by it. But one thing I have done most of my life is keep to myself. Yeah I reply to threads to help ppl but as far as what others are up to, if they keep me out of it, what business is it of mine? I worry about my own collection and learning how to look after mine - including keeping them in their enclosures. Worry about you doing the right thing and you can't get into trouble.

Why is everyone getting so "Up in arms" about this. He is asking simple questions that ask for simple answers and most of you have just been plain rude. If you don't want to answer his questions nicely, don't answer. ;(

I have been receiving Pm's for the last little while since posting this thread, some helpful in answering there opinions on the first post's questions and others just plain rude and insulting.

I have not had any the above occur with regard to myself. We are being told not to take from the wild, don't keep exotics, don't mistreat animals etc... etc... and all the time especially with regards to reptiles each state and territory just seem to pick and choose who and what gets reprimanded. Not to mention the departments that are set in place for the protection of animals just turning a blind eye.

I am not trying to open a can of worms of open ended argumentative posts but merely the thoughts and personal beliefs of each fellow keeper that would like to put their thoughts forward.

John

is plain and simple though , those who can afford decent lawyers tend to get off lighter and lets not even go into the judges mood on the day

its not just reptile related cases

is plain and simple though , those who can afford decent lawyers tend to get off lighter and lets not even go into the judges mood on the day

its not just reptile related cases

Lawyer or no lawyer, It's always about their mood. Monday morning is a bad time to be in court!!!:rolleyes:;);)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back