ERD Venomous Snake Relocation Course

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marcus0002

Hi everyone.
I did the course last Sunday down at Springfield Lakes.
It was a lot of fun and we learned a lot.

The first couple of hours was theory, identification etc, followed by a quick exam on that plus first aid.
We then got to practice using snake hooks on various live vens indoors.
After lunch we progressed to doing captures with hooks and hoop bags outside on the grass.

The final test was removing a brown snake from a trashed room. That involved moving chairs and items of clothing out of the room using two snake hooks until I found where it was hiding. Mine was coiled inside a shoe.

The snakes we dealt with included eastern browns, dugites, red belly's, spotted blacks, tigers, and mulga snakes.
Would have to say it was well worth what I paid and thanks to Johnno for taking the course.
I'm really looking forward to doing the vens husbandry course at a later date.

Sounds like a training experience worth the $$$. Hope you got out of it what you need down the track.

I'm from Vic, but I've heard this is the course to do when looking towards Vens. Congrats!

I did a course years ago with jono when I first turned 18, was alot of fun.

I would recommend it to anyone interested in snakes, even if your not planning on being a snake catcher it's worth it just out of interest.
Has anyone that has done the course had to jump through many hoops to get their dmp after?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

yes the courses are great - the follow up and certs and any equipment brought/ordered can be very difficult to obtain as long as your not in a rush all very good. Buy on day if able :)

My reference, DMP application form and certificate of course completion showed up on Monday. I rang Johhno up and ordered my snake catcher kit (2 hooks, Hoop, 2 bags and first aid kit) and that showed up on the courier that afternoon. Now I just need to do my first aid cert then I can apply for my snake catcher permit and hope for the best.

Sounds like you had a great time. I did a 2 day course many years ago with Geoff Coombes and have been relocating ever since. The one thing you will learn very quickly is that nothing beats experience. Hope you get your DMP soon and let us know about your first callout.

Its not a guaranteed thing yet. There is a chance that the course and first aid ticket wont be enough and I may need to go out and get more practical experience. I have been told it depends a lot on who you get accessed by at DEHP. Regardless my only experience so far with elapids has been on the course, so needless to say I will be bloody careful on my first few call outs.

Hopefully will be able to get some photos as well.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back