Escape.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colonel

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
G'day all.

Well there's a lesson learned. Luckily, not expensive emotionally or financially. Monty's tank is 60 × 60 × 120 cm. Glass panels on top, with holes cut out for ventilation and to lift the glass. I can't fit my thumb through the holes, so I figured they'd be safe. He was only 6 months old when I got him, and couldn't quite reach the lid. He's 10 months old now and grown quite a bit in length and girth. I went out a couple of days ago, and came back to find him on the lounge room floor. Apparently, he figured out he could fit through the hole. I now have to partially block the holes whenever I leave the house. Damn, I'm finding out a lot about snake behavior. 😎IMG_20220925_174857420_MP.jpg

They are sneaky little buggers, aren’t they? We got a new tank for our Stimmie (the terrible glass ones with mesh lid, have now swapped over to a mostly solid enclosure)
Didn’t take long for him to discover if he pushed hard enough, one corner clip of the mesh top was weaker than others, and out he would get. Terrifying when they are such small things and you have other mammal pets who would eat said snake at any given chance! 🤦🏼‍♀️
Promptly got a piece of glass cut and fitted to top instead of mesh, after he escaped 2 or 3 times- giving us heart failure 😝

I've come home one afternoon to find an empty enclosure slightly open after changing water in the morning.
It's the most nerve racking time, where to look? Will I find my snake again? What if he got outside?

Fortunately most escapees don't travel too far and usually they stick to the edge of the room near the walls so it's just a matter of checking each hiding spot along the way.

My little escapee was Fortunately curled up behind the fridge about 3 metres from his home.

Ever since I am so concious of those doors and making sure they are secure and locked before I turn away.

Just remember, snakes are the Houdini of the animal world, if there is a way to escape, it's only a matter of time before they find it.

I'm glad you found him safe and sound.

They are sneaky little buggers, aren’t they? We got a new tank for our Stimmie (the terrible glass ones with mesh lid, have now swapped over to a mostly solid enclosure)
Didn’t take long for him to discover if he pushed hard enough, one corner clip of the mesh top was weaker than others, and out he would get. Terrifying when they are such small things and you have other mammal pets who would eat said snake at any given chance! 🤦🏼‍♀️
Promptly got a piece of glass cut and fitted to top instead of mesh, after he escaped 2 or 3 times- giving us heart failure 😝
Yeah. The thing that amazed me was the size of the hole he slipped through. I can't get my thumb in, and he got his whole three finger (at least) body out.

Latest posts

Back