Exotics...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This doesn't really fit in to the 'reptiles' part of this forum, but does fit into the 'exotics' part. Australia is against importing other animals into our country (and rightfully so) ... My question is this: why are there so many exotic fish in the pet shops? African Chichlids etc. They aren't native but they're allowed?

it is because when they could bring them in they did and now days most of the exotic fish are bred in captivity.

So does this mean that when we were allowed to bring other exotics in, we did, and now they're being bred in captivity?

My question is.. Why is it perfectly legal to sell a captively bred exotic fish but not a captively bred exotic spider/scorpion/herp etc

I'm not that interested, I just hoped maybe someone knew.

well they will give you the best answer to your question

At time of legislation, exotic birds and fish were already well established here and totally banning them would have been difficult while exotic reptiles were much rarer. Plus the bird and fish keeping association would have been much stronger then the herp brigade at the time and would have made sure exotics that they already owned were legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back