Feeding According To Season.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkinhead

Reaction score
I have a question that will be common knowledge to most of you, but is hard to google.

I was thinking about how i vary the regularity of my snakes feeding to make things mkore real for them, but was thinking about what would be the best rythm for them.

They all get fed together so i can keep track, but it is sometimes three weeks, sometimes two etc.

My question is would it be better for the snake if i used this rythm to feed more in the Autumn as they'd want to build up naturally, or feed more in spring as they would want to build up after loosing weight?
Or, does it not matter for a captive snake with no real cold?

I guess i have either phrased my question in a way that confuses people, they just don't know the answer or they are worried about being attacked for any thoughts they may put forward.

Maybe it's just a stupid question.

spring, summer = feed more
autumn, winter = feed less after roughly 12months old (if at all)
Thanks for the reply. I don't change temps in my enclosures except for climatic changes as i don't want to breed my snakes, so i've read that brumation is not needed.

Does the advice apply to snakes that are not encouraged to hibernate as well?

Yes and no, depends on the individuals. Some snakes are little pigs and eat all through winter and ignore seasons. Others literally from the same clutch will be SUPER sensitive and in NSW right now a tiny bit of a cold change has happened and they've refused food because they're working out what they want to do. Same conditions same temps, never changed, just different personality animals. Also some change throughout their life, while little the might eat through, then change at 5yrs or so. Just have to see what your individuals want to do and work with what they want (within reason of course as they're are always some gutsy snakes who will just eat till they pop if you let them :p just like people).

Yes and no, depends on the individuals. Some snakes are little pigs and eat all through winter and ignore seasons. Others literally from the same clutch will be SUPER sensitive and in NSW right now a tiny bit of a cold change has happened and they've refused food
The cold snap has affected most of the snakes in my house, ALL of the Antaresia have suddenly turned off (except the hatchies), the only adults feeding are the diamond and the coastal carpets

Doesn't seem to affect any of my guys. They all feed yesti after 2.5 weeks and the little JP went up to 2 x weaner rats for the next few feeds till they are gone and he'll be promoted. Didn't think twice about the second rat 5 mins after the first.

I'm probably overthinking it, just want to fine tune my habits to be the best for my guys.

Back