Feeding heat killed rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially Diamonds, they are very temperature sensitive but yes not a good idea at all.

The Rock said:
Yes very bad idea to feed snakes in hot weather.

Just curious, so what temperature do you consider it appropriate to feed Diamonds?

From my observations Diamond's will thermoregulate to the temperature that suits them if at all possible and this includes during hot weather.

boa said:
Especially Diamonds, they are very temperature sensitive but yes not a good idea at all.

The Rock said:
Yes very bad idea to feed snakes in hot weather.

--
hs_CompleteChondro_thumb.jpg

January 2006 Herp Shop Special
Order your copy of the
** Hot off the press **
"The More Complete Chondro"

during January 2006 and receive a bonus free Oz Herp Thermometer and Oz Herp Hygrometer with each copy.
These neat little units normally sell for $6 each or $10 the pair.
hs_OzHerpTherHygro_thumb.jpg

The thing is they can't thermoregulate if it's 40 degrees, if that is the temperature where they are kept then there is nowhere that can be cooler.

herptrader said:
Just curious, so what temperature do you consider it appropriate to feed Diamonds?

From my observations Diamond's will thermoregulate to the temperature that suits them if at all possible and this includes during hot weather.

IMO, Diamonds will handle the heat in realitively short bursts,ie few days, better than most, as they are a python that lives with extremes. It can be over 40% in summer with out any of the regular bush fires that frequently ravage their range and increases the temp considerably.
And then their winter temps can drop below 0.

ad said:
I totally agree with Foxysnake and Pythoninfinite.
You would need rocks in your head to use a rodent that died in the heat.
If it is hot enough to kill them, it is hot enough for them to decompose very quickly.

How clean is everyones substrate that has rats die?
Dirty substrate creates heat like a compost and kills them a lot quicker.

For the cost of a rat you are risking a lot imo - throw em out.
Ad

LOL Ad. I will build retaining wall with my rocks soon mate. (I know that you did not ment to offend me.)

I was interested about other herpers opinion. I knew that lot of people will have different wiew.
I am using rats lost during heat weather for years and newer had any problem or sick animal. But I must stress that I am always making sure that the rat just freshly passed a way. I take her from tab and quick freeze in box freezer . I spoken with some people who take care about reptiles in wildlife park and have been told that they have same rutine. If they get chance to freez the death rat while freshly died.
If the weather is so hot, I am always running with ice in and out, so I have good idea how long ago the animal died.
Well if I get any sign of trouble in future years becaose this, I will let you know.
Thank you all for your opinions on this one. It is interesting to discuss this things with other people.

It is always good to get the opinions of others and we should always be open to different ideas. If we all thought the same just imagine how boring this forum would be. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back