Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X_Belle_X

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My Murray Darling (around 3 years old, Male) stopped eating after shedding in June. Before then he was a great eater never missing a feed. Since then he’s only had one large rat in August and hasn’t seemed super interested since. I was wondering when I should start trying to feed him again as Ive heard them going off food in winter is normal. Other than that he seems pretty happy and still as active as before but just not eating. I’m in SA so pretty cold down here until late November really. Temps are 32/34 on warm side and 23/26 on the cooler side.

Hey @X_Belle_X

My larger older pythons usually slow down around the end of may and will go off their food until mid/end September sometimes later, I can't give you a specific date or time as it changes every year depending on the weather conditions.

I can usually tell they are ready to start eating again when they begin to move around more and even start to approach me from in the enclosure.

My big MD, (13 Yrs) will come out from his hide and fully raise himself up as if to look me dead in the eyes, his tongue flicking, clearly awake and obviously hungry.
I like to use him as an indicator as he is the one who will put on the biggest display.

Overall, I think if you are attentive, you will notice the activity level change in your animal and this is the time to start offering food again.

I'm in Melbourne.

Hey @X_Belle_X

My larger older pythons usually slow down around the end of may and will go off their food until mid/end September sometimes later, I can't give you a specific date or time as it changes every year depending on the weather conditions.

I can usually tell they are ready to start eating again when they begin to move around more and even start to approach me from in the enclosure.

My big MD, (13 Yrs) will come out from his hide and fully raise himself up as if to look me dead in the eyes, his tongue flicking, clearly awake and obviously hungry.
I like to use him as an indicator as he is the one who will put on the biggest display.

Overall, I think if you are attentive, you will notice the activity level change in your animal and this is the time to start offering food again.

I'm in Melbourne.
Thanks so much 😊

Latest posts

Back