Feeding issues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shunco

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

Couldnt help myself I am now the proud owner of a jungle jag as well as my childrens python. Only issue is my JJ is not feeding. She's just over 3 months and I have been offering weekly for 2 weeks now with no success.... Question is when should I start to worry and is there anything I should be doing besides what I'm already doing.

Cheers guys!

Ps. I have contacted breeder and this was his advise as above.

Mate i couldn't see what the breeder said. Is there an attachment? Post some pictures of the snake enclosure. Mention temps etc. The more info the better for a better idea of what to do

Breeder said to try and feed her after a week if she dosn't eat.... She's in a reptile one enclosure click clack style box roughly 400x200x100 temps at 35 on the hot side. I was told that she will *hunt* after dark, which she does but shows no interest in food. I was told she was eating hopper mice. I can't post pick right now my phones having a fit. I'll try tommorow.

How long have you had her, does she have enough hides, is the enclosure in a place where it's quiet? Is there a good gradient temp?

Is the mouse being offered at the right temp, do you leave it in the enclosure or tempt her with it? (you could try braining the mouse, basically exposing the brain matter with a sharp object, pin, sewing needle etc....google if you're not sure)

If you've only had her two weeks, and she's still settling in, I wouldn't worry. I'd just make sure the enclosure is nice and quiet, cover it maybe if it's in a high traffic area, make sure she has enough hides and feels secure, then offer up a (brained) mouse in another week. Rule of thumb is don't handle until they feed, some snakes just take a while longer to settle in and feel secure.

Thanks mate. Yeah it's very quiet where she is. I tried the temps with mice etc. My other python eats perfectly. I havnt handled her yet for this reason so I'll wait another week and try your Ideas. I tried leaving in enclosure she smelt it numerous times but never took it

I tried leaving in enclosure she smelt it numerous times but never took it

I'm only a newbie myself but i have found that my jungle likes a bit of movement from his prey. I have some long needle tweezers that i use to hold the fuzzie by its feet or tail and flick it over a log and move it about in front of him. He attacks it quite quickly when it is moving.

Yeah I got her to eat last Tuesday so received lol. I did try what you just mentioned and it worked a treat. :D

Yeah I got her to eat last Tuesday so received lol. I did try what you just mentioned and it worked a treat. :D

I am glade that your baby is eating again, maybe she was a bit stress with the new environment and new place; so she needed some time to settle down... as where i brought my children python; they told me to be careful, as when they get stress they would not eat.

Yeah exactly. I everyone was assuring me she would eat I was just getting nervous lol

Yeah exactly. I everyone was assuring me she would eat I was just getting nervous lol

yeah like we all do, don't you worry... i think its only natural; if we do not worry; that means we do not love our dear pets... so its all cool...:)

Hi, I have a children's python who is about 20 years old, anyway in the last few months she has had very weird eating habits. For example instead of striking at her rats (alive or dead) she has been just opening up her mouth and letting us drop the rat right in. Well it is time for her to eat again but she is just not going for it. She will smell it, watch it, and even lay beside it but she will not eat. I am wondering how long to wait. What if she has decided to completely stop eating? I am probably just freaking out, but she is an older lady. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back