Feeding Live Mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexahnder

Reaction score
Is it safe to feed live mice too an adult childrens python. I got them on the 14th of december and they still haven't eaten. I am worried about trying a live mouse as i have seen pictures of what can happen if you feed live prey.

Please Help

Alexahnder

Observation is the key to success, I've not experienced problems feeding live rodents apart from the odd nip at point of seizure. Alternative to feeding live is stunned, gotta be cruel to be kind sometimes and best of luck.

live feeding

Yeah, I agree - observation is the key. It all depends on how well the snake secures the mouse when it strikes. Most times, the mouse is fairly well immobolised, but if they grab the mouse awkwardly, then there is the opportunity for the mouse to bite.

I'd probably be more concerned when feeding a rat - they are far more capable of inflicting serious damage.

There are times when you have no choice. For example, my diamond is going through an awkward phase right now, and won't touch dead prey - she'll will only take a live mouse. So I plan to offer a thawed or freshly killed mouse each feed time. If she takes it, then great, otherwise I'll offer live until the next feed when I'll try again.

... that's my theory, anyway :eek:

I like that theory Lusty old boy :) Sort of making the best of a bad situation. Fortunately so far I have never had to feed live and I just hope it stays that way :)

i had to feed a live mouse to my baby jungle.
i got it last march and it only started feeding in september.
i was shaking like a leaf :!:

one he had grabbed the mouse by the tail and i almost S!#% myself!!
luckily the mouse was too busy trying to run away!!

I don't think mice are much problem. Rats are different story, as they have very sharp teeth. I mean sharp. Even the little guys. Like the others said, it mostly depends on how well the snake grabs the little bugger. I've watched in horror as a mouse was chomping away on the side of one of my snakes. Thought she'd be all tore up, but after checking her over 10 times after feeding, not even one scale was scratched. Gotta' remember that they take live prey exclusively in the wild. With that said, definitely try to get your snake to take dead prey because it is much safer for the snake. Try the stunned method to switch over if need be. Just take a spoon or something blunt and give a good whack on the mousey's head. Nine times outta' ten, they'll twitch and flop around for awhile. Usually long enough to get your snakes attention anyway.

A spoon, almaron? I'm disgusted. Bet the missus is impressed with that, or is it a case of what she doesn't know won't hurt her :wink:

She would rather I feed live. For some reason it grosses her out if I kill them, but not if the snake does.??? :?

BTW it's not one of our eating spoons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back