Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlG91

Reaction score
Hi,

so I have just bought my new Stimson hatchling,
And he came home a few days ago but was in shed,

now he’s finished his shed,

I want to know the best way to get the pinkie mice ready to eat for him,

like what the actual process is from start to finish,

from taking it out of the packet to defrosting to being on the tongs to give to snake,

like is there a step by step thing I could go through??

sorry it’s my first snake, I want to Know 100% on how to do things rather than winging it

cheers Carl.

You put it in warm water and let it defrost for an hour untill it’s not frozen at all

thank you,
should i buy a seperate freezer for storage of the pinkies ?

or can i put them in a zip lock baggie and then in a closable container and then in freezer ?

You can put them where ever you're comfortable. I just have mine in the freezer door.
Get one out, put in warm water for an hour until thawed, DO NOT USE HOT WATER.
Sometimes water goes cold, just tip it out and put more in, you can just put mouse in water or if you want you can zip lock or freezer bag it, personally I just put it in water, doesn't hurt to give them some water with their food anyways. Only downside to wet feed is if your substrate sticks to it then they may ingest too much and can cause impaction. To avoid this my yearling childreni eats wherever so I can feed him on bench etc, but my Dad's snake is a flighty little yearling stimmie so for his he has to feed it in enclosure without handling, he simply pinches the tongs on scruff of mouse neck and as soon as his stimmie sniffs for a bit then grabs it he just flips over the hide and puts him and the mouse down in there. Or if he's on a branch etc it's a non issue, just feed him where he is.
Don't overthink it, biggest thing is worrying about little things and stressing out.
Don't chase your little guy around with the food, just hold it in front of his face, if he calmly/slowly moves away then you slowly and calmly move it back to in front of his face. He can smell it just fine. If he darts away or quickly pulls back don't quickly follow him with it, you'll freak him out more.
Just slow and steady and remember that snakes can go a long time between feeds if they want to, it's not going to die instantly if it doesn't eat for a few weeks or anything like that.
Usually they go off feeds with changes (like moving, although mine fed day after I got him) and when in shed. Day after shed they're usually super keen for food so give it a go whenever you want. Just bear in mind if he doesn't take it it's not the end of the world and you can try a couple more times that day/night but then throw mouse out, you can't refreeze or put it in fridge for next day or anything like that (seems like common sense as it'd obviously then go bad and snake won't eat bad food, but you would be surprised how many people think that this is fine to do.)
Enjoy you're new little one and get used to their personality and you'll soon work it out. They're great pets and welcome to the hobby.

Stick said pinky into a cup or whatever of hot tap water. Wait a couple of minutes, pick up said pinkie and gently squeeze between thumb and forefinger. If it is soft and you feel no cold you are good to feed your hatchie.

Back