Feeding Python in feeding box?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlosTheSnake

Reaction score
Hey all,
asking a question on behalf of my brother: he has a darwin cp, about 1 year old. in order to avoid cage defenciveness, we put him in a cardboard box to feed him in. Whenever he goes into the box and close the lid to stop him escaping, we will open the box to check on him or feed him. Now whenever the box is opened he strikes. At least he doesn't strike when his enclosure is opened, but now its a bit harder to feed him when we are being struck at every time we open the box. Any way to stop him associating the box with feeding? should we use a different approach? Thankyou all

He gets fed in the box.... he associates the box with food.
Maybe use different boxes? Or put colour paper on the box each feeding so he fiend associate food with it?

It is a totally stupid idea to move a snake to feed it!
1: you are not supposed to handle your snake after feeding for at least 2 days so how do you return it to the enclosure ?
2: you confuse the snake when you remove it from the enclosure for handling, it thinks it's food time.

I feed my snakes in their enclosures to avoid this confusion , if it's handling time I stroke it with the hook so it knows there is no food.
2 different procedures for 2 different outcomes keeps life simple

It is a totally stupid idea to move a snake to feed it!
1: you are not supposed to handle your snake after feeding for at least 2 days so how do you return it to the enclosure ?
2: you confuse the snake when you remove it from the enclosure for handling, it thinks it's food time.

I feed my snakes in their enclosures to avoid this confusion , if it's handling time I stroke it with the hook so it knows there is no food.
2 different procedures for 2 different outcomes keeps life simple
ok thankyou everyone for your input, much appreciated :)

When hes finished eating we put the box into his enclosure and wait for him to slither out of the box. No handling involved. Just worried that if i start feeding him in his enclosure, he will strike every time i open the door! thankyou all tho. Ill feed him this arvo (in his enclosure probably) and update you. Cheers

Latest posts

Back