first enclosure (non fishtank)?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overland

Not so new Member
Reaction score
wondering if anyone can be helpful or point out any good threads,

looking to get my reptile licence in a few days and my first captive lizard, the age old question of bluetongue (eastern) or bearded dragon plagues me of course, even at going on 39.

ive learnt alot from my house visiting wild bluetongue that pops in and out at her will but what she hasnt taught me is a about any enclosures

im keen to avoid a glass fishtank, what are the other options? im not looking for a free range lizard and will likely get a juvi/baby

whats the opinion on reptile carpet?

while I dont want to put a price on the quality care of my prospective scaled friend, im looking for cost effective and good housing, one thatll permit good interaction thats ive read critical to raising a good lizard

I also live 10 minutes walk from a massive bunnings, so anything bunningised would be great

thanks

If you don't want to go with a tank, I'd look at getting a good sized tub from Bunnings. Just make sure the lid is one that sits on without gaps and drill air holes - I found a thread that might help.
https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/show-us-your-click-clack-set-ups.208456/

Beardies need less room than blue tongues as far as I'm aware (I'm no expert though) so if cost and space are an issue, I'd lean toward them.

Coconut coir seems to be a good substrate option for lizards from what I know - I have a carpet python though so can only go by what I've read. Not personal experience. I use the coir for his sub and he seems to like it. I buy it in brick form from Woolworths gardening section. $3 per brick. Just always check that it is pure coir - some garden ones have fertilizer in them.

I did rehab a shingleback with bobtail flu for 3 months a few years back. I used a heat pad, newspaper and an acrylic tank.

I've probably not been much help but figured I'd share my limited knowledge and experience in case it assists in any way.

Good luck!

Steer clear of flatpacks , kits , invariably poor.
If it's made from vinyl laminated timber it's going to be particle board inside , MDF of you are very lucky.

Better off building your own for an adult BT. How handy are you with tools ?
If you want quick and easy to build consider using Connectit joiners and 1" x 1" aluminium square hollow tubes , base made from 18mm sealed plywood , lid ( and walls if you want a lighter timber "box" 6mm or 9mm sealed plywood ) , or your choice of acrylic sheet (6mm clear is nice and rigid) . I'd give glass for the sides and back a miss , especially if there are kids in the house.
Connectit stuff is available at Bunnings.

My current project = two Connectit & Acrylic & plywood tanks for my yearling bearded dragons , work in progress : First prototype.
IMG-0032-prototype-front-ready-for-sliding-glass-door-installa.jpg

IMG-0033-prototype-right-end.jpg

protective film left on for now to protect from scratches and dust.

A baby or juvenile BT up to maybe 1 year old will be OK in a converted ALL SET tub ( sold at Bunnings for next to nothing ) , the 120L version is a good size . Will work nice for a young or hatchling bearded dragon too.

My 2 adult BTs are in homemade plywood tanks, 1.2m L x 0.6m D x 0.4m T. I sealed the plywood with marine oil based vanish as I was worried about effects of water spills and moisture from the bedding and excrement soaking in if wasn't sealed properly and I decided the extra few dollars to get marine grade vanish and apply 4 coats was worth it to make the timber and the timber joins impervious to liquid.
My 2 lived in converted 90L tubs for their first year.

No less than 0.5m tall for the bearded dragon as a large juvenile or adult , they enjoy climbing to bask.

If the lizard needs UV , and BTs do , I'd recommend no less than 40cm height.
Because you will be mounting the compact UVB , or T8 UVB tube , and hood or nano hood under the lid you want a zone of high UVA & UVB and for the lizard to be able retreat an area with very low or no UV.
My eastern BTs have 26W UVB200 compacts in Nanohoods about 20cm from their basking spot and this works well.
The 26W UVB200s work well for bearded dragons in rearing tubs too. OK in a full size tank provide the dragon can get to about 20cm from the globe in a reflector dome or hood.
In a tank 1.2m L x 0.6m D x 0.5m T , probably better off with a T5 10%UVB or T5 12%UVB tube in a reflector hood , a taller tank , consider getting a T5 14%UVB tube unless the dragon can climb to about 30cm from the 12%UVB tube & reflector.

I run my BTs' basking spots at about 34 degC , the bearded dragons 38 degC. at the basking spot.

I'd avoid reptile carpet for your skink.
I'm a fan of course Kritters' Krumble mixed with dry bluegum leaf litter and bark pieces ( I get these for from my big mature bluegum and can gather enough in a few minutes with a rake and 35L bucket to do a refill in both my BT tanks, they also seem to enjoy the dropped twigs especially when in shed ). The soiled stuff goes in the greenwast bin or on the raised garden beds . When I get a composter going , I'll add it to that.
For a very young skink just raid the pantry and line the tub or tank with a few layers of Scott-towels.

I'd avoid particulate type beddings for a bearded dragon or anything that will hold moisture .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back