Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whity

Reaction score
Hi I am thinking of getting a monitor. I can’t make up my mind what one to get I was thinking of a sand monitor or black headed monitor any info or help would be appreciated thanks.

Get the one you want, but do your homework on both these species and workout if you are capable of accomodating them as adults. If space, set up and food isn't a problem, next thing you need to workout is if you think you can handle them. Learn what to expect from such a monitor before you buy it so it isn't a "OMG what have I bought" once its fully grown.

i would go for somthing smaller if its ur frst monitor. like a ackie or gilleni. if ur set on either one of those 2 i would go for the blackhead monitor. sand monitors can grow quite large and if you are not used to looking after monitors or how they act then it could be quite dangerous. black head monitors come in 2 sub species, varanus tristis tristis or varanus tristist orientalis. orientalis grows to about 60cm and tristis goes to about 80cm. you could keep the smaller of the 2 in a 4or5ft x2x2 but u would need a much bigger one for the larger one.
i havent kept black heads, but if u type into google you will get heaps of info on them :)

What about one of these? ;) Remember to look into the species and make sure you can keep them, a large monitor needs a large enclosure, lots of food and lots of heat :D

Attachments

• new rep room 003.jpg
    new rep room 003.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 115
What about one of these? ;) Remember to look into the species and make sure you can keep them, a large monitor needs a large enclosure, lots of food and lots of heat :D

And have strong, razor-sharp teeth and claws, and a tail like a whip.

And strong feed responses, also how big is the biggest enclosure can you go? That little guy is a few months old and will use every single space in a 4ft tank so it wont really last him long and his adult enclosure will be 3.5x2x2m (that is about 12x4x4foot) and still a bigger one would be even better as they are very active. A ackie or gillens could stay in 4ft tank its whole life (even though 6x2x2 would be better for a ackie)

Ok thanks yea i am thinking of getting a smaller monitor first but what kind of monitor i think i could handle a 60cm one any pics and recommendations are welcome

Get a Ackie, there not to small or not to big, they can easily live in a 1200L x 600H x 600W, and they look great to, also with monitors the more room the better, Thanks Tim.

The enclosure indoors 4ft and out doors I am working on is 3m x 4m and thanks every one for the help

I have to agree with an ackie being a great beginners choice. Once you get the set up right they are basically bullet proof.

Go to my profile and look in my albums for some pics.

They are commonly available from many breeders, and usually at a good price. I will have 'sandfires' and hopefully Kununurra ackies available end of this year.

Have a look on these forums for keeping advice. If you have any more questions please let me know.

Ok I think I will get an ackie can any one post some pics of the set ups:)

I got my first monitor last year
He's a Black headed and a great little monitor, they're very active and great to watch
they dont like being handled (like almost all monitors) but mine lets me pick him up as long as i dont hold him for to long, i only handle when i need to move him to another enclosure for cleaning and what not.

i was told monitors don't need UV but i use it anyways just incase ;)
He's been really easy to keep so far, just keep the temp right, the food comin and provide plenty of hiding spots and it'll thrive.
if your going to use rocks for hides and display make sure they're secure, dont wanna wake up to a squashed monitor, they like to move them and dig under them searching for food
heres a couple of pics of mine and i
threw in a few shots i took of the adults at wildlife world

Thanks

I would be using uv light as well as flood lights for heating. thanks for the pics and the information Gecko_ProCs:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back