FIRST SNAKE! Carpet Python.. Need help/advice on care!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classabear

Reaction score
Hey guys, in about 2 months i'm going to be picking up my first snake. The breeder just told me they've hatched today, and he has to hold onto them for 2 months before selling.

This is my first snake, I own a gecko, and have had lizards before, so I get the general jist of it's needs, but I want the specifics for this little guy.

I can't find anything specific on google, so I thought I'd ask some experienced owners some questions:

What enclosure measurements should I get for him?
What substrate/bedding do I buy?
What heat lamps would it require?
How often do they eat, what do they eat, and do I need to dust the food with calcium dust?
What would be some good tools to invest in for making snake keeping easier?
What kind of tank accessories would be fit for a Carpet Python?
Do I need to mist the tank?
How often can you handle them without them getting stressed?
Do I need a heat mat?

And anything else you can help me with would be perfect, including brand suggestions, feeding suggestions, etc.

Also I was thinking about making an enclosure for him (I had the idea of using a bookshelf and plexiglass, but would Plexiglass be a problem with the heat lamp?

Anything else you can help me with would be amazing, because I just want the very best for this little guy

Thanks so much in advance

Hey guys, in about 2 months i'm going to be picking up my first snake. The breeder just told me they've hatched today, and he has to hold onto them for 2 months before selling.

This is my first snake, I own a gecko, and have had lizards before, so I get the general jist of it's needs, but I want the specifics for this little guy.

I can't find anything specific on google, so I thought I'd ask some experienced owners some questions:

What enclosure measurements should I get for him?
What substrate/bedding do I buy?
What heat lamps would it require?
How often do they eat, what do they eat, and do I need to dust the food with calcium dust?
What would be some good tools to invest in for making snake keeping easier?
What kind of tank accessories would be fit for a Carpet Python?
Do I need to mist the tank?
How often can you handle them without them getting stressed?
Do I need a heat mat?

And anything else you can help me with would be perfect, including brand suggestions, feeding suggestions, etc.

Also I was thinking about making an enclosure for him (I had the idea of using a bookshelf and plexiglass, but would Plexiglass be a problem with the heat lamp?

Anything else you can help me with would be amazing, because I just want the very best for this little guy

Thanks so much in advance

It's just a hatchy so a 7lt sistema tub is fine.
A 15w heat cord.
paper towel for substrate
a small water bowl.
No misting
Feed every 6-7 days. Carpets can go straight to fuzzys (no pinkies)
No heat lamp, just the cord.
No calcium dust
Handle for a few minutes a day. But don't touch it for the first week. If it stops feeding reduce handling
Give it a small tight hide. Like a John West tuna box

Also have a read of: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/tips-newbies-thread-143946/

Oh and if you can, go and visit the breeder and get them to show you how they keep the hatchlings they are holding back and the size rats/mice they are feeding them etc. My breeder is excellent as far as the suport he gives new owners as he wants to make sure the snakes he has put so much effort and time into get the best chance that they can.

- - - Updated - - -

Think about getting hold of Complete Carpet python , either buy a copy or get to your town library and if they don't have it ask for an inter-library loan.

Last edited by a moderator:
try googling this: care sheet carpet python. All of these questions are answered in almost every link on the first page of results

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back