First Snake Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RainbowDingo

Reaction score
I’m planning on getting my first snake when I move into my friend’s house, which isn’t for a couple months, thanks to covid locking down the Victoria border. I’m really fond of woma pythons but I’m not sure how big of an enclosure I should get for one because all the care sheets I’ve found are American-based.

The size requirements don't really change for the same type of animal depending on what country you're in.

Generally speaking, a 3' enclosure will be fine for a Woma. Some people go a bit smaller, you can go a little larger if you really want to.

Hi,

Get yourself a copy of either of these books, recommended reading for any new keeper. They will be a credible source of information of the care of which ever species you end up getting.

Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons​

A Guide to... Australian Pythons in Captivity​

Look up the requirements that the state licensing body, that you are licensed with, has for enclosures. The size of the enclosure will be based on the size of the animal. You will want to start with a small enclosure so that the animal feels secure and up size as the animal grows. Keep the enclosure simple so that cleaning is easy.
Do a search on this site for making a hatchling click clack, there have been a few threads through the years. Here is one example https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/guide-to-build-a-click-clack-dial-up-warning.93266/
Most hatchling click clacks will be heated with heat cord or a heat mat. Make sure the heat source is controlled via a thermostat. The thermostat probe will need to be where you want the hottest temp in the enclosure. Make sure that the enclosure has a warm end and a cool end. Provide a hide at both warm and cool ends. That way, the animal can hide whilst warming or cooling. Place the water bowl on the cool side to keep humidity down.

Regards,
Nick

In regard to cage size for younger/smaller animals, the above advice is good. I thought you meant for an adult, but it's definitely correct that a smaller snake should have a smaller enclosure. Something around half the length of the snake for the length of the cage is usually about right, and bigger is not better. A common mistake among new keepers is to use a cage which is too large and open.

And I also agree with most of the rest, such as floor heat being best for Womas, use a thermostat, etc.

Latest posts

Back