first time snake owner - Bredli or Spotted?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bredi or Spotted Mac?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpentsalem

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey All!
hope you're having a wonderful day.

I'm a first time snake mama, and i was initially advised to get a Spotted Mac as they are a great first time snake... but then was advised to get a Bredli as they are very docile...

I've been doing research and i just kind of seem to get mixed reviews hehe, so i was just wondering what you would recommend getting as my first snake?
the less snappy the better.. but i understand all snakes will probably be snappy at first and i dont mind getting bitten abit until the snake is comfortable.

thank you so much.

which one do you prefer the look of

you have to keep in mind;

one will grow up to 8ft --- I have a few bredli and they are all puppy dogs, never struck unless theres food around

the other will grow to 3-4ft

I want to buy some fruit for lunch. Should I buy an apple, a banana or an orange?

They're all good options and which is best varies from person to person. Your choices are far more varied than these two snakes. Both are perfectly good first snakes, perhaps the main difference being size, but they also have different characters. Personally I'd go with the Spotted out of those options but I've kept and bred both. Both are generally good for not being bitey, both are usually good feeders and pretty hardy. Most of the Carpet Pythons are relatively similar in terms of care (Diamonds are prone to dying, jungles of some lines can be bitey, otherwise just choose the Carpet you most like the look of if you want a Carpet). All the Antaresia are very similar to Spotteds in terms of care etc, so again if you want an Antaresia just choose the one which best suits your preference and budget (I'm personally a big fan of marble Children's Pythons, and they're a similar size to a Spotted, same to care for, and super beautiful and fun to watch change as they grow.

Antaresia have the benefit of being smaller pythons than Carpets which can be good for first time snake owners. No risk of ending up with something larger than you're comfortable with, and you'll either be fully thrilled and/or decide you're wanting something larger and you can get a bredli or one of the other Carpets (or a Water, Woma, Olive or other larger python). Carpets and Antaresia are generally your best options but don't limit your choice to just one particular type of each :)

Fruit has too many carbs, go with green veggies instead. As for the choice of snakes, I find it amusing that people think they're only going to get one. I told myself I wasn't going to get BHP's, but I've just bought a pair of huge adults. It's so hard to resist buying snakes, I have arguments with the missus because she shows me all these nice snakes for sale and tries to make me buy them.

Get a fruit salad. ;)

Fruit salad offends me. Pineapple should never associate with banana and some freaks even allow grapes to contact peaches. I'm tolerant and accept that other people have the right to choose whatever fruit mixes they want, however abhorrent they may be, and I hope they also accept and tolerate my method of dealing with the stress of having heard mention of such absurdly inappropriate fruit mixes which is to crush puppies and kittens in a hydraulic press until I feel better, but clearly the point of personal preference being king is only further highlighted here.
[doublepost=1572940056,1572939728][/doublepost]
Fruit has too many carbs, go with green veggies instead. As for the choice of snakes, I find it amusing that people think they're only going to get one. I told myself I wasn't going to get BHP's, but I've just bought a pair of huge adults. It's so hard to resist buying snakes, I have arguments with the missus because she shows me all these nice snakes for sale and tries to make me buy them.

Everyone has to start somewhere with their first choice. I find it amusing seeing people having contextless arguments about which is the best first snake without realising the question itself is fundamentally flawed. For a few years there was a huge argument about which elapid was the best to start with, which was even more absurd, but it still comes up from time to time. By giving an answer, any answer to this question, which promotes a particular choice without it specifically applying to one person according to that person's goals and abilities, simply demonstrates that the person doesn't understand the fundamental relevant concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back