First time snake owner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinxed

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, My name's Brent and I live in Melbourne :)
I've had a passion for snakes and arachnids for as long as I can remember! In the pass 6-8 months I was deciding if I wanted to own my first pet snake and finally have made the decision to get an Albino Darwin carpet Python.
I've been doing as much reading as I can over the past couple of months looking into what would best suit me and what goes into owning a snake and I know I have so much to learn still but I'm really looking forward to this journey.

I was really hoping I could get some answers from some of the members from here as I understand there are many different techniques used and lots of different information out there.
So I'm looking to get a Albino Darwin Carpet Python hatchling as my first and in regards to it's first enclosure I was hoping I could get the input from anyone who has prior experience on this type of enclosure.

30lt 36cmx44cmx28cmH tub (picture bellow)
7W heat mat
thermostat to help maintain 32*c
a couple of toilet rolls as hides (one in both hot and cooler spots)
Some form of water dish
Something basic for it to climb on, maybe some mesh from bunnings.
Paper towel as substrate.

Is the tub too big/small?
would you recommend anything different or would this setup work for the first 8-12 months before moving to a larger enclosure?
After 12 months, would a 4foot enclosure be too small? I've read for a Darwin Carpet Python enclosure, it's recommended 4foot minimum for an adult.

To anyone willing to help me out and answer any questions or give advice, I thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 30lt tub.jpeg
    30lt tub.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Tub might be a bit big for a hatchling, and more suited for something a bit older

for a hatchling i would recommend a quadrant 9L tub with a couple pieces of dowel through the tub for perching material - if u decide to use mesh, do not use a metal mesh, theres a type of garden trellis which works well, its thick and comes in green or black

4x2x2 enclosure is fine for an adult :)

Last edited:
Thanks heaps for that! After doing more reading and searching through the forum I was starting to think that tub might have been too big.
I think I'll go the dowel route as it's also cheaper and would do the trick.

Thanks again Herpetology, really appreciate it.

This is what I use for my hatchies.
I use the heat mat under around 1/3 of the tub, with a small hide on the warm side and a water bowl on the cool side, I would recommend using a thermostat for any heat source, just in case.
I just use paper towel as a base and I usually tie some dowels together to form a cross shape and lay it against one end for exercise.
Its all they need and its easy to clean and keep clean.
This will last you until you decide on a more permanent enclosure.

Best tip I can give you mate, do your research as you are, ask all the questions you need or want to, but try not to over think everything too much, make your own educated decisions.
Pythons are such carefree animals and once you have the enclosure set up properly, you're done.
Nearly every new owner, myself included overthinks everything when in reality, all you need to do is set the thermostat, provide some hides and water, and enjoy learning your new friends personality.
Its that easy, set and forget.

Good luck with your new python and send us some pics.

20211001_171557.jpg20211001_171254.jpg

Last edited:
Next question that I'm personally stuck on is heating/thermostat setup.

Given that I'll be going with the 9L tub and I'll use a reptile one 7w heat mat to cover 1/3 or slightly more of the tub, I was wondering if getting this is a good idea to use with it and to use in the future when I upgrade.

https://www.aquariumspareparts.com....ndotGxqEVj0WEUCpFR6BkS8isKahrvLxoC678QAvD_BwE
Personally I like to plan long term and want my money to last me as long as it needs (so equipment that I can use in more than one case and not have to sell/upgrade etc)
I know that given I don't need too much for a hatchling I also want to buy the best I can give my snake and last during upgrades if this makes sense?
Or would you suggest a basic one plug thermostat until I need to upgrade?

Last edited:
!! awesome gl with the snake keeping as someone who is the same been interested for ages and got 2 a few months ago it is so fun to watch them grow from hatchlings :). if I ever get a 3rd will be an albino darwin as well love their colour transformation. and yeah that thermostat looks good :)

This is what I use for my hatchies.
I use the heat mat under around 1/3 of the tub, with a small hide on the warm side and a water bowl on the cool side, I would recommend using a thermostat for any heat source, just in case.
I just use paper towel as a base and I usually tie some dowels together to form a cross shape and lay it against one end for exercise.
Its all they need and its easy to clean and keep clean.
This will last you until you decide on a more permanent enclosure.

Best tip I can give you mate, do your research as you are, ask all the questions you need or want to, but try not to over think everything too much, make your own educated decisions.
Pythons are such carefree animals and once you have the enclosure set up properly, you're done.
Nearly every new owner, myself included overthinks everything when in reality, all you need to do is set the thermostat, provide some hides and water, and enjoy learning your new friends personality.
Its that easy, set and forget.

Good luck with your new python and send us some pics.

View attachment 331832View attachment 331833
Yeah I get what you're saying! Being new to reptiles in general, it can be a little overwhelming with the amount of different information which I guess is why so many overthink (me included) things through but this forum has been so helpful so far and I really appreciate the advice and help from you all.

I bought most of the setup last night and now just need to get a heatmat and thermo once I figure out what will be good in the long run.

!! awesome gl with the snake keeping as someone who is the same been interested for ages and got 2 a few months ago it is so fun to watch them grow from hatchlings :). if I ever get a 3rd will be an albino darwin as well love their colour transformation. and yeah that thermostat looks good :)
I can't wait to finally get my first! By the sounds of it it won't be my last either haha.

I absolutely love the colour of them and think they look absolutely stunning!

Thank you for your help, really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Next question that I'm personally stuck on is heating/thermostat setup.

Given that I'll be going with the 9L tub and I'll use a reptile one 7w heat mat to cover 1/3 or slightly more of the tub, I was wondering if getting this is a good idea to use with it and to use in the future when I upgrade.

Personally I like to plan long term and want my money to last me as long as it needs (so equipment that I can use in more than one case and not have to sell/upgrade etc)
I know that given I don't need too much for a hatchling I also want to buy the best I can give my snake and last during upgrades if this makes sense?
Or would you suggest a basic one plug thermostat until I need to upgrade?

I've got that heat mat covering a little less than half of my enclosure (reptile one hatchy glass one). The store I bought from said I didn't need a thermostat for it, it cuts off over a certain heat, and gives about 33 at hot end (cool end around 24). You'll probably find the plastic heats up a bit more than that though, so if you do go plastic you might need a thermostat to make sure it doesnt get too hot. But from what I've read, a couple of degrees either way won't be earthshaking!

So after reading multiple first snake threads and asking questions of my own this is what I've put together. No snake yet but just trying to get the enclosure temperature right. With nothing in the enclosure and no holes in it yet either, I've been struggling to get above 27 degrees, just finished adding things into the enclosure and now it's starting to get above 29 slowly. The bamboo paper towel must help insulate the heat a bit better.

So I went with was a Sistema 7Lt tub, reptile one 7w heat matt and a exotech dimming/lighting day and night thermostat. a couple of climbing sticks of bamboo, two dunny roles one on the hot side and one on the cool and a small tub for water.

I'll leave it for the next 24 hours to monitor the temperature. I've got it set to 33 during the day and 27 at night.
Day 0800-1900

If anyone has any opinions on the setup and if I've got anything wrong, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks!
Jinx

And some photos

Attachments

• PXL_20211017_091717176.jpg
    PXL_20211017_091717176.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20211017_091729465.jpg
    PXL_20211017_091729465.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20211017_091742793.jpg
    PXL_20211017_091742793.jpg