First Time Snake Owner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amybettison

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, Long time lurker, first time poster as I start to get more serious about this. I've done lots of research and I would love to have a Woma as my first snake.
I do have a few questions though, as I've never owned a snake and don't know anyone personally that has. All the research I've done has been conflicting from person to person.

So firstly I want to get it as a hatchling and I was looking at a terrarium that is 60cm(h) x 90cm(w) x 45cm(d) so that he can fit it when he is bigger, but so many places are saying that as babies they need to be in a hatchling tank. Is this true?

My next question is water and humidity/heat, I've also read a lot of things that say heat pads (under a rock) are best for Woma's as direct heat from lamps can burn them. I've also read that they need water every day but that also brings up the humidity. I'm located in North Brisbane (think natural humidity being 70-90 during March) and I don't want it to be too humid so what have people done for this?

Any help or tips for first time owners is appreciated šŸ˜…

So number one. For a woma, I'd go a 4x2, (120wx60hx60d). They're not small snakes. I'd also use a tub with a heat mat for a juvenile woma python. Woma's can absolutely use overhead heating, such as a Ceramic heat emitter, or a bulb but some people prefer to provide belly heat. For humidity, a ceramic heat emitter will also drain humidity.

So number one. For a woma, I'd go a 4x2, (120wx60hx60d). They're not small snakes. I'd also use a tub with a heat mat for a juvenile woma python. Woma's can absolutely use overhead heating, such as a Ceramic heat emitter, or a bulb but some people prefer to provide belly heat. For humidity, a ceramic heat emitter will also drain humidity.
Yes, I've decided to go the 120x60x60, does the humidity need to be kept between 50-70%? I'm definitely going to be going a ceramic heat emitter and have decided also on a heat mat. My biggest concern is the humidity though as I know they'd be used to dry heat in the wild. I feel like all the care guides and research is so different that I'm lost šŸ˜­
That being said I'm off to one of the best reptile breeders I know for questions and I'm going to an expo tomorrow.

Ceramic heat emitters are rubbish, good for a space heater when ambient temps are too low, but not good for a basking spot. Definitely do not use 2 sources of heating. Either use belly heat or light source.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/philips-60w-es-r80-clear-floodlight-reflector-globe_p4324296

Youā€™re over complicating a basic species
https://www.snakesociety.nl/jaargan...sayi, Woma husbandry and captive breeding.pdf
https://reptilesmagazine.com/woma-python-care-and-breeding/
Who is this ā€œbest reptile breeder I knowā€ most if not all breeders wonā€™t let people over into their collection

Last edited:
I've done lots of research and I would love to have a Woma as my first snake.

Congratulations on an excellent choice for a first snake. I went that way with a hatchling - and what an incredible experience it was. As she grew, we grew. We got to learn each others intracasies and starting out - if a hatchling bites - it's not going to be as scary while learning that confidence. We never had any issues with bites - she's an incredible dosile and interesting (percular) snake.

Woma's have a personality / nature about them that is so un-snake like as to what most people expect - we love em, and affectionately call ours 'dopey'.

120x60x60 is the right choice for when yours is fully grown, but will be too large for a hatchling. If you only want to buy once, you may be able to rig it up so you only use a small part of it (cardboard for internal walls or something similar maybe) to give her an area more suited to her size, that you can move and then remove completely as she's larger.

I'm far from an expert so take what I say with a pinch of salt - just a huge admire of the Aspidites ramsayi (Woma's) - and am excited for you.

Back