First year breeding Womas - USA

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bitisfan

Reaction score
I obtained my adult pair as adults in 2009. The female was born in 2003 and the male in 2005. I tried to breed them back in 2009-2010 but it got too cool and I didn't keep the male with the female long enough, I mistook follicle development as ovulation. Anyway, last summer (2011) I decided I would try again so in addition to a few extra meals, I purchased a photocell for my Helix thermostat - made a world of difference. I changed the high and low temps about four times over the course of the winter to situate cooling periods; fall, winter, and spring.

I put them together on the 31st of October and observed the first copulation event on the 4th of November. From there on I didn't see another obvious copulation event for the rest of the 'winter'. In the spring them seemed a good bit interested in each other (didn't see obvious copulation but suspect they did frequently during this warming period, 'late winter'). I kept the male in with her well past ovulation, which I did not observe. I removed the male when I saw she was about to shed (POS) and feed him graciously. I did not feed her during this whole time, for one she didn't seem interested (no typical woma glass striking). I set-up my egg chamber when we was still pre-shed. I did not record when this event occurred but it was about a month before egg disposition (29-May-2012).

7317849518_28bee64f51_o.jpg

7317849224_5896fa59d7_o.jpg

I was stoked! 13 eggs, I was only expected about 8! This brings me to my first question, what is the max this species has been recorded laying in captivity? All candled great, lots of viens. I incubated them at 89F on a mixture of 0.6 to 1 water to perlite ratio by weight. I suspended them above the perlite by using egg crate (called fluorescent light crate at Lowes). I left the incubation box when a slight tilt, so that any condensation drains down the lid and does not drip directly on the eggs - seemed to work well. At day 48 I got my first hatchling, the rest emerged on day 50 and 51. All 13 eggs hatched, the first hatchling didn't make it - seemed to have some issues (runt).

7603784722_3df9f96d31_o.jpg

7603784506_d6a41be18d_o.jpg

7603784624_81a50ffcaf_o.jpg

And a shot one with an egg tooth!
7603784864_d979c2de2a_o.jpg

I was stoked, everything worked out well beyond how I thought it would! They all ate on the first try - frozen/thawed. They have eaten 4-5 times now and have grown a little. I recently sold four, but in the US they move slow....

Here is a photo of the female that produced this clutch (3 months postpartum):
7939545606_3a389ce71c_o.jpg

This bloodline seems to be one of the darker ones I've seen, but I am particularly fond due to how well the bands stay dark. The hatchlings have near perfect banding. If anyone knows / has thoughts on which bloodline I have feel free to tell me. I have my thoughts but I am not 100%.

Hope you enjoyed, thanks!

Last edited:
Love threads like this.

Congrats, & thanks for sharing !

Awesome work mate, you should be proud of yourself!. As Rob_N_Son said, its great seeing posts like this

Hahah nice work and the average is about 4 - 6 for first clutches, 8 - 19 for older, larger snakes and what you got is really good coz only one died out of 13 !!!!!

Thanks all! I was pretty happy with this. She had a clutch before I got her, her first, consisting of 11 eggs.

@Skelhorn, I have a Canon 40D, nothing that crazy. I took the egg tooth photo with my Canon 100mm f/2.5 Macro lens.

Anyone have an idea of bloodline. Seems to fit with the classic Uluru Bloodline - large (she is every bit of 6 feet), dark, and with darker more contrast banding.

I just got another adult pair (on breeding loan) that are significantly smaller, and have a lot less dark pigment (venter is nearly absent of black pigment).

Hi Nathan

My feeling is an Uluru type animal as well but the head seems a little off. I am wondering if there is other blood mixed in as well.

Nice snakes

Cheers
scott

@Skelhorn, I have a Canon 40D, nothing that crazy. I took the egg tooth photo with my Canon 100mm f/2.5 Macro lens.
still mate their some great pics , ive got a cannon 50D eos and i couldnt take pics like that if my life depended on it so you must have some skills with the camera 2

nice thread mate , i didnt realise how pinky and transparent their bellys are upon hatching like you can see in pic 4

Aww congratulations. Glad it went so well for you and thanks for showing us some photos. :D

Thanks all!

Hi Nathan

My feeling is an Uluru type animal as well but the head seems a little off. I am wondering if there is other blood mixed in as well.

I hear you. I believe most of what is available over here in the USA genetically muddy, I think of all the 'classic' bloodlines Uluru fits the best.

still mate their some great pics , ive got a cannon 50D eos and i couldnt take pics like that if my life depended on it so you must have some skills with the camera 2

nice thread mate , i didnt realise how pinky and transparent their bellys are upon hatching like you can see in pic 4

Thanks man. Photography is one of my biggest hobbies, of course it is really just an extension of my interest in Herpetology.

Here is a link to my flickr: Flickr: Nathan Shepard's Photostream

I mainly have photos of Reptiles and Amphibians from the US but also have a few from Namibia and Ecuador. I tend to photograph snakes and salamanders the most, its what is most diverse here in NC. My absolute favorite domestic herps are Rattlesnakes, so I have plenty of those represented in my photography albums and collections.

I'll post again when I get some better shots of the adults, new adults, and the hatchlings now that they have a bite more size to them. They all just ate again this afternoon, live large pink mice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back