Fleas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danyjv

Reaction score
How would I one get rid of fleas in a carpeted snake room with out harming the snakes ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the type of flea and the circumstances such as whether or not you have their host animal (eg cat or dog with the corresponding type of flea) living in the house, and whether or not the rest of the house has fleas and host animals. Depending on the circumstances it could be anything between impossible (constant reintroduction with no way to prevent it) to nothing being required and they'll all going to die (eg. they were sitting dormant after the previous occupants and their flea-ridden cats moved out, you moved in, the movement woke them up, they're bouncing around everywhere but you don't have any cats so they're all going to be gone before long).

It was from a kitten that was in my house for a few minutes . It’s no longer there but it was covered in fleas .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more information you give the easier it is to help. You haven't given much. Relevant details would include whether or not you have other animals (mammals) in the house and how long ago the cat was in your house.

It's probably cat fleas. Assuming you have no dogs or especially cats in the house, your flea problem will only be temporary. Worst case scenario some gravid fleas will have jumped off the cat and laid eggs. They may be able to hatch and grow up eating dander or something similar, this will allow them to become adults, but without an appropriate host they shouldn't be able to complete the life cycle so your problem should end there.

I don't know what stage you're at or what your situation is, so I can't really advise further. There are various poisons and non chemical options such as diatomaceous earth, but I'd need more details to know which I'd want to suggest.

Good luck.

Probably easiest and safest approach is to remove the carpet and replace it with lino. This is a very cheap and permanent solution as well as never allowing another cat in the house.

The flees will go away with the carpet and wont be able to get past the lino if you have timber floorboards in the room ( they will hide in the gaps between boards ).

Latest posts

Back