Fluctuating Heat Map Temperatures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Portley

Reaction score
Hi All,

am in the process of setting up a new click clack for a 9 month old Woma Python we will be picking up this week but the heat mat temperatures in the click clack are not consistent and constantly fluctuate when measures with a heat gun. I am taking and recording the temperature readings in a 3x3 grid to get an overall feel for where the hot spots are, and to get an average temperature but they vary by approx. 7 degrees from highest to lowest, and this is only over the heatpad area measuring approx. 100mm x 200mm (1/3 of click clack).

Equipment

I am using a 14w Reptile One heat mat and Eco Tech Dual Control 1200w thermostat. I have also tried the Habistat thermostat but it wouldnt let me get temperatures above around 32 degrees. I am using a Stanley infrared temperature gun and the thermostat probe is placed in a separate container to replicate the readings in the main click clack.

Everytime I go back in and take temperature readings they are different so I have tried various different ways of using the heat mat (as below) but each scenario still results in fluctuating readings:

1. Heat mat directly on the bench with click clack directly above
2. Heat mat sandwiched between 2x porcelain tiles
3. Heat mat on top of a porcelain tile with click clack directly above
4. All of the above options using small rubber stoppers for air gaps.

Q1 - Out of the options above, which would be the most recommended?

Q2 - Starting to think it may be the heat mat, hence I am hoping some of you in the know may be able to advise if different temperatures (i.e., +/_ 7 deg.) across heat maps is common, otherwise I am thinking the heat mat may be faullty?

Frustrating as we want to just make sure we have everything set-up properly in advance to help ensure our new Woma is comfortable.

Q3 - If anyone could please confirm the recommended temperature to aim for over the heat mat for a 9 month old Tanami Woma it would be greatly appreciated as from what I have read, the recommended temp ranges vary from 32 deg to 37 deg, and even up to 40 deg.

For completeness, please refer below for a copy of the current setup (which still is a work in progress!)

Thanks all in advance.

Portley.

Attachments

• IMG_2644.jpg
    IMG_2644.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back