fly trap

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
i got my bearded dragons today and they seem to have a taste for flys, how can i make a trap so i can catch them flys?

John

Just have an open topped (still escape proof) cage, I see mine eating flys nearly every day.

PS if flys are a problem in your house like mine, small amounts (1cm) of orange juice in a bottle/etc work well to attract and drown them! Not much good for feeding to the beardies but we keep a few round the kitchen to keep the flys at bay and its gotta be better than spraying them, then the beardies eating them.

You can simply buy fly pupae that only require room temp to hatch. Put a small hole in the side and add to your enclosure, too easy! A jar of fly pupae will cost you a few dollars. if your in sydney, try
Sydney Reptiles 9643 1500 :wink:

Put them outside, like Rennie said:-
have an open topped (still escape proof) cage
...with one addition though; put a few pieces of raw beef mince on rocks/logs inside the cage and the flies come in droves. The dragons simply snap them up as they land.

One important point though - don't simply put your indoor cage/aquarium out in full sun. They heat up to extreme temps that easily cook reptiles. I've recorded temps around 70 C :!: .
Either modify your cage or put most of it in the shade & supervise so the sun doesn't move across it.

P.S - Consider putting aviary wire mesh over the top instead of completely uncovered, to protect against predators.

Check out this fly trap. I am sure you could bodge one up pretty easily. I will look further because i am sure i have seen one made with two plastic 2 litre coke bottles somewhere. Most of the flies will drown but if you put it in the enclosure each afternoon there will be live flies ready to escape into your lizards' eager mouths

Rid-Max
Holds approx. 6,000 flies

7.5" tall, 7" diameter

Great for patios, camping, backyards, kennels, horse trailers. Used in restaurants, schools, and homes. (Assembly Required)

Safe 2 Use
a/k/a Fly Busters
800-931-9916

?1998-2003 Safe2Use all rights reserved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back