Found/Rescued huge pregnant Blue tongue. No clue what to do! HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemma

Reaction score
Hi im new to the group and new to all things reptile.

2 days ago we rescued a pregnant BTL she is soooo wide and seems to be puffing and panting quite a bit. The only reason i say rescued is because she was milllimetres from being ran over right in the middle of suburbia (there is no bush or traditional areas of habbitat where we live but nearly everyone has a very very large back yard "i live in Tasmania")
My first instincts were to relocate her but i cant bring myself to do it....

So at the moment shes in a rabbit hutch very secure and plenty of that chunky paper cat litter in the closed off hutch area for her to burrow into. Its not that cold here at the moment and i figured she's an outdoors wild lizard and would be used to our climate....??

I gave her a couple of small strawberrys and a snail to eat and one of those little rock looking water bowls.

So whats my next move? I am hoping to relocate her and the babies to the bush once they are born an learning to eat live food... or is that even possible? ive been told if i dont take the babies away from her straight away she will EAT THEM! is this true?

I cant just let her go as she will end up like the blue tongue i seen flattened out in the gutter up the road last week! and i cant just let her go anywhere else as i have no clue yet as to where are suitable areas that blue tongues can thrive well (plus i dont drive so getting to these areas wont be an easy task). I just want to know what can i do to give them the best chance of survival whilst they are in my care and to prepare them for the wild.

Also if i do need to seperate mother from babies "if you experts say its ok then i will get someone to take her straight to the bush somewhere when i figure out what are the good areas for BTL"

Sorry for the long question just trying to find out as much as possible!

Do you know how the PM's work on here Gemma??

If so PM your contact number and I will call you in the morning.....I am also in Tassie and run Tasmanian Reptile Relocations and Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back