Free with any Xmas tree.... a Brown Snake.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cagey

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-...aditional-family-christmas-tree-haul/10577782

Families urged to get a wiggle on as snakes ruin traditional Christmas tree preparation
ABC South East NSW
By Adriane Reardon
Updated 35 minutes ago. Thu 6 Dec 2018, 6:37am

Photo: Deb Court has had to wrangle both snakes and the Christmas rush on her property this season. (ABC South East NSW: Adriane Reardon)

Staff at a family-run Christmas tree farm are struggling to maintain their yuletide spirit as an inundation of deadly brown snakes has lead to untended trees and dangers to browsing visitors.

Photo: Business owner, Deb Court, tends to the trees in the morning before the snakes run rampant. (ABC South East NSW: Adriane Reardon )

While families elsewhere wander farms and browse for a Christmas tree to fit with a special tag, an unusually high number of aggressive snakes on the Court family's property has limited the ability to maintain their business.

"It has affected the families and kids roaming on the property wanting to tag a tree," Deb Court said.

Ms Court manages Xmas Tree Bob after taking over the business from her father, Robert 'Bob' Court, following his death in 2016.

She said her father taught her a lot about tree harvesting over the years, but that this has been a particularly challenging year.

"It's a kill-joy on the family tradition," Ms Court said.

Photo: "Watch out for brown snakes" warns signs for the public, before entering the Wolumla property. (ABC South East NSW: Adriane Reardon )

No more flip-flops
The Court Family has been selling freshly cut pines out of a five-acre property in Wolumla for nearly a decade.

The business, located beside the Princess Highway just south of Bega, is known for its iconic rainbow-coloured tree fencing which decorates the front of the farm.

Photo: The Christmas Tree farm in Wolulma is known for its iconic rainbow fencing. (ABC South East NSW: Adriane Reardon )

While the snakes have not yet impacted sales, they have hindered the Christmas experience.

Ms Court said she also been less able to maintain the trees this year because of the snakes, so has been selling them as a bushier "organic version", due to less trimming.

She said the drought was causing more snakes to come through her property, which is wedged between a sub-divided block and a creek.

"Normally I'm out in the garden in my flip flops," she said.

"But this year, I'm wearing gumboots and not in the garden nearly as much."

Like most farms selling Christmas trees across the country at this time of year, the business has a limited window to turn a profit in the lead up to December 25.

Drought to blame for more snakes
Photo: Deb Court spotted this brown snake below her verandah at her Wolulma property. (Supplied: Deb Court)

Brown snakes are one of the most venomous land snakes in the world and are often found throughout the eastern half of mainland Australia.

WIRES Reptile Handling Trainer, Gary Pattinson, said it is not uncommon to spot the species this time of year.

"They're far more prevalent in the hotter season," he said.

"We'll be seeing them around from now until April or May."

Mr Pattinson said the dryer conditions should not cause an increase in the species numbers but that the warmer weather had caused them to come out of hibernation early and be more active.

The best advice, he said, is to keep a safe distance, regardless of the number of snakes sighted.

"It sounds like repetitive rhetoric but the best thing we can do is leave them alone," Mr Pattinson said.

'Tis the season to be snakey
Deb Court has had plenty of close calls with snakes while trying to manage the Christmas rush.

"Mum opened the car door the other day and a brown was under her foot," Ms Court said.

"I had one go through my legs while gardening.

"I carry a rake around with me at all times now."

Photo: Deb Court says she has noticed an increase of brown snakes on her property this year. (Supplied: Deb Court)

To prevent buyers from wandering the property, Ms Court now greets them at the front gate.

She also leaves pre-cut trees at the entrance with a sign warning of the snakes.

"[The customers are] very understanding, they often have [snakes] on their property as well," Ms Court said.

She does however have a laugh about what her dad would make of it if he were still alive today.

"I think Dad is up there laughing his head off at me trying to manage this," she said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back