Friend looking to get into Gecko's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cougar2007

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am posting to gather some info on Geckos. A good friend of mine has seen my Diamond and has let go she has always loved Gecko's

Ill lay it out here why i reckon they would suit her down to the ground.

She lives in a unit. She loves Gecko's and travels the world so knows them well.

What i am not sure of, are the as "low maintenance" as a snake. ie once they are settled and all comfy, are they fed once a week? once a day? once a month etc?

She does travel o/s a lot usually for 3 to 4 weeks and I can look after them while she is away. but only if it is just a feed and water every week or so scenario.

your thought and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jamie

Hi mate.
Generally you would feed a hatchy daily. Then from as an adult you feed them once every few days.

We have been talking.

The fascination of geckos for us stems from our frequent trips away scuba diving (I own a scuba shop and am an instructor)

Whenever we go to Vanuatau, PNG, Maldives etc we both love the Gecko's you get that come into the Accommodations. Especially the noises they make.

I am guessing these cute little guys are Asian house geckos.

I read up a bit on them and it seams they are a pest in Australia.

Im looking for something native but with the same sort of characteristics. The noises, the boldness and the personality.

But obviously these will be both mine and her first Gecks so also want something that is good for a beginner

Am i being to picky?

Feedback is very welcome

Thanks

Jamie

how bout reading up on nephrurus levis levis. My fav!

Yep. Smooth Knob-tailed geckos are great beginner geckos. An adult like 3-4 crickets every 2-3 days (but would be fine with a feed every 5 days for those vacation times). They have claws and cannot climb out of smooth walled enclosures (low maintenance if you forget to put the lid on the enclosure for example). They need a few sprays of water once or twice a week.
They can also bark (if provoked) although that means they're annoyed at you. As far as I know the Asian House Gecko is the only gecko in Australia that vocalises for territory/attracting mates.
If you're living in a cold part of Australia the levis levis could do with a heat mat under it's enclosure as they are semi-arid species. I have five at the moment, and have been breeding them for the past three years and they are fantastic geckos to keep.
Cheers

Dtellas look very similar to AHG's and while not as loud do vocalise to attract mates etc

Having said that I think your friend will soon change her mind when she sees the other geckos available.
My recommendation for climbing geckos are Golden-tails, Northern Spiny-tails and Marbled-Velvet Geckos, all are easy to keep and will be readily available in the coming months.

I suggest looking through this thread for ideas
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/show-us-geckos-116594/

Thanks guys, they all look great. You may laugh but it is the noise i love the most, reminds me of the tropics.

But wow i have to say, it goes to show how addictive these bloody reptiles are. it's 10 pm on a friday night and I am researching my next addition.

I think i might need counselling .... is there a reptiles anonymous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back