Frog and tadpole identification

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeNorth

Reaction score
My son found these in a stream at a camp creek just outside Glen Iness when we were on holiday. They progressed in development pretty quick as it was quite warm in the caravan. I don't know what they are and he wants to keep them 🤣 please help I tried google image search and google says they are from south East Asia haha

Attachments

• 20230110_182423.jpg
    20230110_182423.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230102_125131.jpg
    20230102_125131.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 0
Unfortunately, you cannot legally take them from the wild in NSW to keep them. It also requires an import/export licence to transfer them from one state to another. They should definitely not be released into the outdoors, including a backyard pond, in case they are carrying the devastating frog chytrid fungus and introduce it to a previously uninfected area.

As these froglets have not fully metamorphosed yet, their patterning is likely still developing. That, and the sheer number of species found in the region, makes it difficult to try and narrow down the possibilities. They lack expanded discs on the ends of the digits, one finger is particularly long, as is one toe, and they appear to lack any webbing between the digits. The pupil seems to be horizontal (rather than vertical) and the eyes are not excessively large or bulbous. My best guess would be either the Spotted Grass Frog (L. tasmaniensis) or possibly the Barking Grass Frog (Limnodynastes fletcheri). As far as I can determine, Spotted Grass Frogs can be kept in SA.

Latest posts

Back