Frog care

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatesRatesAU

Reaction score
Good evening all.
My question I would like to ask tonight is a simple one with regard to the temperatures for different species of frogs…
I am wanting more specific information about the Magnificent tree frog, Litoria Splendida and also the Gillens tree frog, Litoria Gilleni.
what are their max sizes, ideal humidity and temperature range.
For the Magnificents from what I can tell their temp range is similar to that of the red eye, though with slightly lower humidity.
My main problem is with the Gillens I have so far been unable to determine their proper temperature range with only small pieces of information saying they don’t need a heat. The tank I have does have heat and is kept at around 26-30 degrees during the day and 20-23 at night. It’s currently hot in Rocky so I don’t actually need to use my heat emitter at the moment. My concern is that with the Gillens the temperatures I am having will be too much for it, if it is indeed requiring lower temperatures.
(The whole reason that I’m asking is because in Rocky, we get nothing and recently my local pet shop has gotten in 1 red eyed, 3 Magnificents and a whole bunch of Gillens. I’m wanting to know what frog to get.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Kind regards,

(As an edit, I would also like to ask if these frogs need, or even like/prefer, to be kept in groups. Also, how long does it take for a Red Eye to reach its full size. Thanks again!)

Last edited:
Im no expert and constantly learning like everyone else but all the above mentioned species are fairly easy to keep and are tolerant of a wide range of conditions, don't go crazy trying to have perfect temps and humidity or you end up "chasing the dragon".
Imho your red eyes are less tolerant of high temps and low humidity, although they have a massive range from Gosford NSW right up to Proserpine Qld, these guys are humidity lovers and can deteriorate very quickly if kept too dry (1-2 days), some of my red eye tanks are fitted with a fogging system and others I just mist lightly once a day and 20-25°c is a fair temp range for retf's.
Gillens and mags are easy, their temp ranges should be 25-29°c and only occasional misting is required, definitely avoid water features, fogging or spray units in enclosures for these guys. They can been prone to bacterial and respiratory issues if kept in constant excessive moisture, 40-60% humidity for these is a good range.

Full adult size is dependent on how much you feed them, temperature and genetics, retf's can get to adult size within 3 months and gillens and mags within 6 months is normal.
Cycling the temps and humidity imo is important for long term well being and all 3 species will bask and definitely benefit from uvb, uvb is often overlooked by keepers but imo keeps their colours vibrant and keeps them active, when I've kept frogs long term without uvb they tend to end up dull and listless and not doing much.
Good luck with em, they are some snazzy species to start off with.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reply. It was very interesting to say the least. From what I had been told, the Red Eyes needed the highest temperatures out of the lot!
(Would it be possible for me to ask for a photo of your setup? I’ve attached a photo of my setup currently. Based off of what you have just told me, this will not be a good tank for Magnificents, due to the waterfall background. If I only turned it on a couple times a day, would that work???)
I also did not know that Magnificents didn’t need to be constantly misted and such: very interesting!
Once again, thank you so much for your help! I greatly appreciate it.
Kind regards,

Attachments

• 377DCF50-5EFF-4400-817A-7AEFE98EC1CA.jpeg
    377DCF50-5EFF-4400-817A-7AEFE98EC1CA.jpeg
    302.3 KB · Views: 6
Also worth a mention is Scotty Eippers book - A guide to Australian Frogs in Captivity. its a very decent investment 👌
Oh and while I think of it- Happy birthday @eipper - congrats on the new book release too mate

Also worth a mention is Scotty Eippers book - A guide to Australian Frogs in Captivity. its a very decent investment 👌
Oh and while I think of it- Happy birthday @eipper - congrats on the new book release too mate
Great book. It’s tucked away somewhere in my bookshelf

Thank you very much for your reply. It was very interesting to say the least. From what I had been told, the Red Eyes needed the highest temperatures out of the lot!
(Would it be possible for me to ask for a photo of your setup? I’ve attached a photo of my setup currently. Based off of what you have just told me, this will not be a good tank for Magnificents, due to the waterfall background. If I only turned it on a couple times a day, would that work???)
I also did not know that Magnificents didn’t need to be constantly misted and such: very interesting!
Once again, thank you so much for your help! I greatly appreciate it.
Kind regards,
Regarding temps, out of the species you have the red eyes have the most southern occurring distribution which should tell you something about temperature, wild red eyes I encounter in se qld are mainly associated with cooler, mountainous rainforest areas like Mapleton and Belthorpe range.
Your waterfall mainly depends on ventilation of the enclosure, if it doesn't make much difference to humidity it's fine, neat enclosure too btw, I see so many Aussie keepers with mags in paludariums, they seem to get along ok but isn't something I would do, not long term and that's OK too, each to their own. Frogs are fairly tolerant of most conditions but over time an unfavourable situation will cause health issues, that = a vet. Which = cash out of your pocket.
My enclosures?
Hmm most of my frogs are kept fairly simply as I'm chit scared of getting chytrid fungus here, so just a water bowl, branch, hide etc. It gives me a good chance to observe them everyday and constantly clean and sanitise everything and I do have quite a few bio active enclosures on the go but every frog still has its own separate, easily sanitised enclosure if needed, except for the Roth's as they are big sooks and don't appreciate anything out of their routine😜
20220320_101050.jpg20220320_101239.jpg20220509_101930.jpg

Latest posts

Back