frog enclosure idea help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

billyh

how would frogs go in a melamine enclosure, i have a spare one and its looks far better than the glass one my frogs are in now. it is 2 foot by around 45 cm high. i will put in a container with an aquarium heater in it on a low temp though as the enclosure also gets heat from underneath as its a 3 bank enclosure. and fake plats and logs etc. i will put a cage around the uv light. would this suit my frogs, i have a green tree frog and a white lipped tree frog.

I would think the melamine would be vulnerable to swelling and rot from the water needed for the frogs. I think sticking with glass is better from a maintenance point of view.

We use sphagnum moss as a substrate, with some large rocks scattered around. The frogs seem happy with this, although as they move around the sphagnum can get stuck to the glass. When the moss gets old/has poos in it, chuck it on the compost heap and get some more, its pretty cheap from Bunnings etc. The heat and lights sound OK.

Hope this is some help

ok thanks, the melamine has a plastic coat which is water proof, some water might get through, i might just see how i go anyway, the only thing is how would my frogs go, would they be happy, is it ok for them.

no problem with melamine for the frogs, as has been said usually melamine, even with coating isnt as water resistant as glass is, so might show some deterioration, swell with moisture etc.
i keep some of my frogs with a small plastic water tub and just a small heat mat under to keep it a bit warm. they do well, and the water is easily changed often by removing it and cleaning/refilling.
main thing is the frogs dont need a lot of heat, so would need to have any light on a thermostat on a low heat, i usually keep mine in glass enclosures and the light is just a flouro one on top of the mesh. so not very hot for them.

Check out bunnings for some type of waterproof membrane
you could coat the melamine with..

There is bound to be something in the plumbing or tiling sections...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back