From class 1 - 2?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo

Reaction score
For NSW peoples eyes only..or any others that know the answer.
Just a question about going from a class 1 to a class 2 licence;
I have just turned 18 and i want to upgrade my licence from class1 to class 2 so i can get some Varanus brevicauda (around this time next year), but i have not kept any class1 monitors..sooo..do i need to keep a class1 monitor for 2 years before i can get some brevs?
And will i need references from 2 experienced keepers in the varanus field? Or is all this just for snakes?
Cheers

Jimbo, in theory you need to have two years experience with monitors before applying for the upgrade, however there is a loop hole in the system which you'll be over the moon to know of. When you fill out your application for the Class 2 license, do not mention you want brevies, simply state you're looking to purchase a Woma (i presume you have 2 years experience with pythons?). That's all you need to say and you should get your Class 2 license. Once you have it you can purchase your brevies and there's nothing they can do, you don't even need to get a Woma, unless you want one of course. ;)

To get your Class 2 license, simply give NPWS a call and ask them to send the application forms out. Fill them in and send them back along with a cheque/money order and Bob's your uncle! No references required, but you will need to write a short story stating you have the necessary knowledge etc to keep 'Womas'. ;):)

Last edited by a moderator:
What a cunning plan! Thank you MrB..i wouldnt mind some womas - maybe il will win them in the next Reptiles Australia issue?
Thanks!

Wont work.They will issue you with a class 2 license no problem at all but it will also come with a letter stating that you can only keep class two pythons but NOT C2 monitors or dragons until you have had experience with C1 monitors or dragons of at least 2 years.

re From

Dam,i didnt think it was all that complicated,we need people like you in ASIO or the CIA Mr Bredli,the cunning of a fox with the stealth of a cat :lol:

Nice tip Mr B.

I've wondered about this because I am keen for Centralian blue tongue and they are also Class 2. We don't have loads of space for herps so it seems silly that I need to own an Eastern Bluey for 2 years in order to acquire a Centralian!

When I called to discuss it they made it very clear that you need to have owned a Class 1 of the same species before you can move to Class 2, so pleading ignorance if you got caught might be tricky...

Wont work.They will issue you with a class 2 license no problem at all but it will also come with a letter stating that you can only keep class two pythons but NOT C2 monitors or dragons until you have had experience with C1 monitors or dragons of at least 2 years.

I take it this change has occurred just recently - probably with the introduction of the new system?? I never received any such letter when i upgraded which was maybe 12 months ago. But i had heard they were going to try and do something to stop it from happening. If this is the case, then what you need to do is find a good friend who has a monitor.. both of you then write in your books that the monitor was sold to you in April last year (when they would have received a new book) and then sold back to the person around about now, that gives you 10 months 'experience' with monitors, now you only need 14 months more. :lol:

Haha shame none of my friends keep monitors..let alone reptiles. I guess il just have to get some gilleni first - which i probably should have done 2 years ago lol.
Thanks for the help.

I take it this change has occurred just recently - probably with the introduction of the new system?? I never received any such letter when i upgraded which was maybe 12 months ago.

I didn't get any letter like that either and I only upgraded at the end of last year. Then again, turtles are the only thing I haven't kept, but I still didn't get anything saying I couldn't get class 2 turtles :?

I have my class 2 in nsw and when applying for it was told i could only keep pythons on the class 2.If i wanted to keep lizards i would have to have kept them for two years.Also I needed to have 2 references of people I knew or that know me to say ive had the experience to keep class 2 animals.

Cheers MatE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back